Rooster not crowing?

cottontail farm

Crowing
6 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
I brought Popcorn the rooster home last week from a farm with a ton of other roosters. I have about 18 birds and for the most part they seem to be ignoring him (except for one hen with a baby, she hates him). Hes a total gentleman but I haven't heard a single crow out of him. What gives? Any other roo I've brought home crowded right from day one.
Popcorn is currently our only rooster. I was told hes a year old. Picture is from the day we got him, just to prove that yes he IS a rooster. Lol.
20190715_201925.jpg

Popcorn looks a bit poorly. Have you wormed him. My gut says that he was subordinated by more dominant roosters in his last flock - going by his flopped comb and poor coloring. He will gradually regain his mojo as his testosterone levels rise.
Thanks for the advice. I assumed his flopped comb was due to being half leghorn? It does indeed look pale though. No, I've never wormed him. He had complete free run of a farm where he came from so I didn't feel there was a need?

He was probably more of the lower ranking roosters in that farm you picked him up from. Sometimes being around dominant roosters, if they themselves aren't the dominant type, their crowing will lag behind in terms of development. I have a rooster like that. His brother seems to be the more dominant one and have been crowing for a few months now while I haven't heard him crow yet.... I think once when the crowing was very odd and short. Maybe mine is just a late bloomer, but with yours if he's the only single rooster in your flock, he'll soon pick up his role as the head of the flock and start crowing.

Last edited:
He was probably more of the lower ranking roosters in that farm you picked him up from. Sometimes dominant being around dominant roosters, if they themselves aren't the dominant type, their crowing will lag behind in terms of development. I have a rooster like that. His brother seems to be the more dominant one and have been crowing for a few months now while I haven't heard him crow yet.... I think once when the crowing was very odd and short. Maybe mine is just a late bloomer, but with yours if he's the only single rooster in your flock, he'll soon pick up his role as the head of the flock and start crowing.
Great to hear, thank you!
Also I get a smile ever time I see your Avatar. Lol.

Lol! When he gets his mojo going it will pop up at least partially and redden.
Combs are a wonderful indicator on when your rooster is ready! :)
I cannot believe I managed to put that tastefully!:lau
Thanks for the advice. I assumed his flopped comb was due to being half leghorn? It does indeed look pale though. No, I've never wormed him. He had complete free run of a farm where he came from so I didn't feel there was a need?

Back
Top Bottom