We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Rooster not crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cottontail farm, Jul 22, 2019.

1. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    I brought Popcorn the rooster home last week from a farm with a ton of other roosters. I have about 18 birds and for the most part they seem to be ignoring him (except for one hen with a baby, she hates him). Hes a total gentleman but I haven't heard a single crow out of him. What gives? Any other roo I've brought home crowded right from day one.
    Popcorn is currently our only rooster. I was told hes a year old. Picture is from the day we got him, just to prove that yes he IS a rooster. Lol.
    20190715_201925.jpg

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Popcorn looks a bit poorly. Have you wormed him. My gut says that he was subordinated by more dominant roosters in his last flock - going by his flopped comb and poor coloring. He will gradually regain his mojo as his testosterone levels rise.

3. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Thanks for the advice. I assumed his flopped comb was due to being half leghorn? It does indeed look pale though. No, I've never wormed him. He had complete free run of a farm where he came from so I didn't feel there was a need?

4. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Not the best picture. Taken this morning. You can see it's a bit pinker (but still pale ) and floppy. 20190722_102719.jpg

chrissynemetz and Chickassan like this.
  5. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    He was probably more of the lower ranking roosters in that farm you picked him up from. Sometimes being around dominant roosters, if they themselves aren't the dominant type, their crowing will lag behind in terms of development. I have a rooster like that. His brother seems to be the more dominant one and have been crowing for a few months now while I haven't heard him crow yet.... I think once when the crowing was very odd and short. Maybe mine is just a late bloomer, but with yours if he's the only single rooster in your flock, he'll soon pick up his role as the head of the flock and start crowing.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    chrissynemetz likes this.
  6. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    Great to hear, thank you!
    Also I get a smile ever time I see your Avatar. Lol.

7. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Lol! When he gets his mojo going it will pop up at least partially and redden.
    Combs are a wonderful indicator on when your rooster is ready! :)
    I cannot believe I managed to put that tastefully!:lau

sourland and chrissynemetz like this.
  8. cottontail farm

cottontail farm Songster

Dec 26, 2014
    Rural NW Pa
    I think you missed the word "swell". ROTFLMAO. :lau:lau:lau:lau

aart, sourland and Chickassan like this.
  9. Alo

Alo Chirping

Jul 22, 2019
    Are there any breeds of roosters that never crow?

Chickassan likes this.
  10. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

Oh my! Lets just squish that in there with "pop up" lol! :gig
    Aside from dead and toy ones nope, they're all noisy. :D

sourland likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: