Rooster Not Walking

Blue1999

Hatching
Aug 27, 2023
Hi everyone, so I have a Rhode Island Red Rooster that is 9 years. I know lifespan is around 8yrs but hes well tended. My chickens are in a large area that has straw on the ground, they are fed scratch grain and fresh water daily. My rooster has been laying one wing to the ground and going around in circles for a few weeks. I thought he hurt his wing but I can't find any problem. Now his legs are blue and he's refusing to stand or walk. Is this age, illness, or nutrition related? Any advise is so appreciated.

Scratch is not a complete feed, only 7% protein versus 16-20% in layer or flock raiser feed. It also does not have all of the vitamins and minerals needed in a balanced chicken feed.

Sorry about your rooster. He is very old for roosters. His symptoms could be from a vitamin deficiency or a head injury. Wry neck syndrome is neurological and can have symptoms of walking backward or in circles, and some have a twisted neck. He also could be showing signs of Mareks disease. It would be impossible to know what is causing the symptoms., unless after death you had the state vet to do a necropsy.

Right now, I would put him on some vitamins 400 IU of vitamin E, along with B complex or chicken vitamins. The E can help with neurological problem. A balanced chicken feed might help him and your other chickens. Or you could make him comfortable and think about putting him down if he ever seems to be suffering.

Right now, I would put him on some vitamins 400 IU of vitamin E, along with B complex or chicken vitamins. The E can help with neurological problem. A balanced chicken feed might help him and your other chickens. Or you could make him comfortable and think about putting him down if he ever seems to be suffering.
This ^^

And feed him some scrambled eggs with fine oatmeal and millet to restore energy.

Yes, egg is usually accepted and can give strength. It also has selenium which helps the vitamin work. Most chickens will eat a chicken feed made wet with water into a mash.

Scratch is not a complete feed, only 7% protein versus 16-20% in layer or flock raiser feed. It also does not have all of the vitamins and minerals needed in a balanced chicken feed.

Sorry about your rooster. He is very old for roosters. His symptoms could be from a vitamin deficiency or a head injury. Wry neck syndrome is neurological and can have symptoms of walking backward or in circles, and some have a twisted neck. He also could be showing signs of Mareks disease. It would be impossible to know what is causing the symptoms., unless after death you had the state vet to do a necropsy.

Thank you. He doesn't have any neck issues. I didn't realize the scratch wasn't sufficient. I'll try supplements and see about Mereks disease.

Back
Top Bottom