Rooster of nine

Dawn fabz

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2016
Hello

I have 9 hens and I am just now introducing a rooster. I have one last year but it was sadly killed by an eagle. I have 5 acres and let my chickens free range and want a rooster for protection (which my last rooster did amazingly!). I am watching them for aggressive behavior towards the new rooster and so far it seems to be pretty normal chicken, pecking order behavior.

Question:
How long should I leave them in there coop before letting them all free range?

I don't want my rooster to run off, and I don't want the hens to pick on him .It's raining a little right now so I might wait til tomorrow and let them out....? The hens LOVE running over the farm and checking out everything so I don't want to keep them locked up too long.

Thanks in advance!

Dawn

Since it's a single bird it shouldn't run off, it should follow the hens or stick to the coop. Most recommend 3-7 days for homing a bird to a coop though.

Hi Dawn and welcome to BYC. I've done a segregation, see but no touch thing - that worked well. I've also (accidentally) done a cockerel escapes from quarantine and goes to roost with the girls on his first day - that worked, too :). I guess the conclusion is don't worry too much. Your new fella will get put in his place by the girls in the first instance and it's nothing to worry about.

I keep the new guy in private quarters where the girls can see and talk to him. After a month or so, I place him in the coop at night. There he can crow and talk to the girls at night. When daylight comes I toss out a bit of feed, so he knows where home is (my birds have a pasture). Each time the new guy has followed the girls, they show him their fav places, and to roost with them at night.
Never had one abandon ship, but I have gained a few,,,,

Question:
How long should I leave them in there coop before letting them all free range?
How old is the new 'rooster'?
If he's a fully mature(over a year old) and 'good' cockbird, just a couple days confinement should be fine.
If he's young, might be a whole different story.

He is 2. I have a metal dog kennel that I am keeping him in around the hens and I have let them all out together for a while each night. He seems to be very friendly towards humans and is interested in the hens. Hoping it all works out! He is really pretty and I am hoping to breed them next year.

He is 2. I have a metal dog kennel that I am keeping him in around the hens and I have let them all out together for a while each night. He seems to be very friendly towards humans and is interested in the hens. Hoping it all works out! He is really pretty and I am hoping to breed them next year.
If he's already ranging with the girls, I'd just let him be and let him go to roost with them. They'll correct him if need be, and if he's free ranging with them, he can run away if needed. I don't believe he'll jump ship as I have gained a few feral roosters with my free range flock over the years as another poster commented. The come to the flock, not the other way around :).

Back
Top Bottom