rooster or hen?

hddave2

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 2, 2011
harrodsburg ky.
i,ve got seven 5 to 6 week old chicks and im wanting to know how i would find out which ones are hens and which ones are roosters...these where eggs that i hatched myself in a home made cooler/bator...the hatching part i think i got a good grasp on but sexing the chicks seems to be harder to figure out.....

i,ve got seven 5 to 6 week old chicks and im wanting to know how i would find out which ones are hens and which ones are roosters...these where eggs that i hatched myself in a home made cooler/bator...the hatching part i think i got a good grasp on but sexing the chicks seems to be harder to figure out.....

got any photos of the chicks we can help with?

We really can't do much for you at 5-6 weeks without pictures or at least knowing what breed(s) you're working with. Sometimes you can tell by wattle or comb development, but a lot of the time it's hard to tell until the saddle and hackle feathers start coming in. If you have certain breeds you can tell by the colors of the feathers, but again, you're not going to find anyone who will give you even a 50% certain guess based on verbal description.

look at the combs if they are a brighter pink/red and larger thats a roo, what breed do you have? with 7 chicks laws of average you should probably have at least 1 or 2 roo

Back
Top Bottom