Rooster or Just a Mean Girl?

I have finally accepted that. I've put him in a separate pen from the girls. Even though I really don't want a roo, I feel bad for penning him in. I really don't know what to do with him.

Really need to sit down with your family (if the chickens are a family thing) and weigh pros/cons of keeping a cockerel/rooster.

We handle it simply - we don't want males, so we either cull them ourselves or donate them to places that accept free "dinner." That's what my husband and I decided on when we first got chickens.

I completely understand. Probably won't cull him, though. I thought about selling him. Just not sure... I'll keep him around for a few days until I decide. Thanks for the perspective.

I contacted the farm where I purchased him. They have 2 remaining. Do you think it is too much to expect a discount on a new pullet?

My question is how could the farm not tell that he was obviously mating and is a very obvious cockerel and is brushing it off as showing dominance?
Anyone familiar with chickens should be able to see it was a him via video.
Maybe it was a small screen? Poor eyesight? Etc. Hard telling.
Sexing them young can be hit and miss.

Anyone familiar with chickens should be able to see it was a him via video.
Maybe it was a small screen? Poor eyesight? Etc. Hard telling.
Sexing them young can be hit and miss.
Good point. I just find it hard to believe that someone who gives away/sells chickens in general can't tell that's a cockerel.... even after he was mating. But yeah, it could have been a number of different things.

Back
Top Bottom