Rooster Pecked Bloody

melandtodd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Bowling Green
I am sorry if this has been covered...I looked around the site and cannot find info. I have 13 18 week old australorpes and they have pecked out our Golden Polish roosters tailfeathers and now he is bloody! I have more than enough indoor and outdoor space per chicken, good feed (proper age), put things in the run to peck at with and extra run to get to fresh grass all the time. WHAT am I doing wrong???
barnie.gif
Please help.......

It could be because he is Polish. Perhaps he is too different looking to them and they do not recognize him as a chicken. I am just guessing. They are all the same breed. Have they ever seen another chicken not like them, let alone one that exotic? Chickens can be extremely tribal about color and combs.

Thank you for that idea about the very different looking breeds. I did some checking around and you are correct. There was literature out there that supports that idea. I have no clue how I missed that when I thought I read just about anything written about raising chickens, chicken care, chicken psychology.......hahaha

Yes. I agree. It's possible if you separate them from your main flock so they can see him but not beat on him, they will eventually get used to him. It's better to let chickens get to know each other through wire fencing of some kind. It can take a few weeks or more for this process. There are time when chickens just will not get along but I've been told that more often than not they will get used to each other. I guess it depends on whether you want to take the time to integrate them or just re-home him. Also, use some blue kote on his wounds so he won't get as pecked on. Once they are bloody, they become a target for pecking. Chickens have some kind of instinctive bloodlust! They will peck anything red. Blue Kote will turn the wound purple and help prevent fungal and bacterial infection. I have a chicken with a purple comb at the moment. Looks ridiculous but is safer for the chicken.

It really suprised me because we got them all as chicks together! From day one in the box, brooder..everything. We are trying the small run right next to them.....
fl.gif

Is it all of them picking or just one in particular?

If it is just one or two, it would be better to segregate them instead of him (unless he is very badly injured). It will knock them down a peg or two in the pecking order. If he is already getting picked on, segregating him will just make him lower when he goes back with the rest of the flock.

Poor little guy.

I sound irresponsible, but I have NEVER seen them pick at him. Just see the result! We spend a ton of time with them..petting....wandering the yard with them...and have not seen him get picked. The others all look fine. He is segregated because of the blood I didn't want anyone around him. It was pretty bad. And it happened very quickly. The morning he was fine. We went out 2 hours later and there he was. Acting fine, but everyone following behind trying to peck at him.

Back
Top Bottom