Rooster problems help me keep my boys!

He sounds like the rooster that I was just given! A friend of mine gave me an extra Jersey Giant rooster that she had...he's a beautiful big bird, but he crows and crows and crows! He starts in the middle of the night and crows nonstop for an hour or more at a time! I don't mind it myself, and my husband sleeps through it, but my in-laws whose house we live in don't really care for it much, and every time he starts, the neighbor's dogs start barking. Even though the neighbors are about a 1/4 mile away, sound carries very far here. So I'm going to start trying tonight to put him in a cage with a cover and see if that helps. If not, he's either going to become rooster stew or I will take him back where I got him. It's too bad, he's a gorgeous bird. Hopefully he'll settle down with the covered cage at night! Hopefully yours will too, they are both very beautiful roosters! My plan too was to hatch some eggs from him and my white leghorn since my other rooster is too small to mate her.

The funny thing is, my other rooster, a bantam EE, doesn't crow at all. He hardly even makes a sound at all!

Quote:
Thats what I used to do with the LF ameraucana but then he quited down a lot. Its really a shame I am trying to keep this boy in a cat carrier at night but he is small enough so he can stand up and crow
sad.png
It worked for the LF boy so it might work for your Jersey Giant Rooster. Try it keep him in a cage at night small enough so he can't stand up and crow and maybe put a towl over him. Maybe I will have to get a shorter cage for the banty guy or try and start covering him more. Hope it works for you I bet he is a fantastic guy so is my little one but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks for the support happy thanksgiving,
Henry

MSbear gave me the idea to build a rooster box out of wood inside the coop. I think I am going to try that out (I can use the extra materials from nest boxes) and see if that works. I also think that my family is hyper sensative to the crowing because we are listening to it. Let me know what you think hope I can figure out a way to keep the boy.

Henry

Sounds like outside of your moving to the countryside, some have to go so that others can stay. To determine which, just review your objectives in having chickens in the first place and the highest priority wins. Not just that, but hopefully, a valuable lesson has been learned.
wink.png

good point about the sensitive to crowing because you are listening to it. and worried about it. I finally asked my neighbor with 5 boys, car stereos, swimming pool, trampoline, grandkids, babies etc (hahaha) if the crowing bothered them. They said no. They didnt even notice really. I used to cringe everytime they crowed - being overly sensitive about it. But its not like kids yelling in the pool all day, or fighting on the trampoline...lol. I did ask them to please be upfront and let me know if there is anything that I need to do, that I do enjoy my chickens but dont want to be a nuisance. I just figure that I will keep them until I am FORCED to get rid of them. lol. or move. lol. any chance you can get your neighbor into the hobby of keeping chickens?
lol.png
take them some chicks sometime.

Quote:
I think thats what I have to do. One has to go and the other can stay wish I could convine my parents to move to the country
hmm.png

Quote:
Hey Tdgill where are you in Maryland? Thats incouraging I am going to have to try and build a rooster box or something for the boys though because its getting a bit out of hand.

Thanks!
Henry

Quote:
Im in Towson
lol.png
no really I am actually in Towson so I have to watch out. Oh thats good to here what changed? did they both just mature a bit?

Thanks,
Henry

maybe they figured out which one is boss and which one isnt. lol. I've heard that the subordinate roosters won't crow as much. i guess they don't want attract attention. Like Earl in prison. keeping a low profile. and will sneak a hen more stealthily if he's lucky. funny to watch mine challenge each other thru this net I'm using for now (still) seems the buff is more wary of the copper black than the other way around and will run away when the copper runs into the net at him. but who knows i am probably putting more theory into it than it is, and I've gotten used to crowing. Do yours see each other?

Back
Top Bottom