Rooster problems help me keep my boys!

Well I am home from Florida and I locked everyone up tonight. The roosters are in shed with some really heavy pillows around their cages and boxes so hopefully it will muffle them and they be nice and quite tommorow morning.

Well it worked they were quite this morning we will see what they do when I let them out at 10 or 10:30.

Henry

Good luck Henry, but if there was a betting pool, my money would be on crowing for at least 3 minutes. Hopefully though, this late start in the morning will pacify your parents enough that they won't be offended by the brief explosion of male hormones.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Thanks lilcrow The Three minuets is no problem even at 6am its the competition thats no good and seems to last most of the day.

Right now the boys are still locked in I know it sucks but they just have to stay in this long on the weekend. I covered there rooster boxes with cushions and you really can't hear them at all outside the shed if you listen it sounds like there are roosters crowing 6 miles away
big_smile.png
We will see what happens when I let them out thats the only problem
hmm.png
I am thinking after the Paul Smith Ameraucana are out of quarentine and in with the LF flock in 3 weeks the faverolle is going to have to move into the huge dog crate in the shed at least for a while. I will put two of the girls in with him and he will have fresh food and water and maybe I will let him out in the afternoons. Its the only way I can even consider keeping him. If it gets to bad and he is locked up in a small space alot I will rehome him because its not right to have him locked up all the time but I think being locked up during the dark hours on weekdays and then a bit longer on weekends isn't that bad.

Keep you fingers crossed.

Henry

You got it Henry, fingers crossed and every other good luck thing I can think of. He really is a beautiful boy, and it would be a shame for you to loose him.

Beautiful roo's!! We have a HUGE Leghorn roo as well as a rather large Banty, unfortunately they are loud- there are times when they will only crow in the morning and just before they hit the coop at night. Then there are those days where they go 'all-day-long'.
I thought they would quiet down after we penned them up- but that didn't work.
Check with the neighbors first, ours say they love the sound.
It really is better than listening to a dog yip all day.

Just wanted to update everyone for now I can keep both boys they go in the shed around 10pm each night and I le them out at 7 before school. They aren't competing as much anymore and crow a bit each morning. The eggs all have bullseyes so they are doing their jobs I am sending out test hatches and I will start selling both fav and ameraucana eggs when the results of the fertilitly and hatchability tests come back.

Thanks for your support of my chicken craziness,
Henry

Henry, I was going to say, lock him up from sundown to sunrise. From all the roos I have, they crow alot when they're young and kindof slow down when they get older. I guess mine are all about 2 now, and they don't crow half as much.

I LUV your roos! I have one black americauna hen, she came from Speckledhen's eggs about 2 years ago.

Thanks it does seem like they have each established a territory qnd now they know where there girls and flock are. Now I cannot imagine a flock without roos they protect the girls and keep it pretty orderly. Two ameraucana girls where fighting and the LF roo broke them up. He is always looking for good forage for them and looking out for hawks and dogs. The LF boy is 2nd in command to me without him ib would never be able to freerange the ameraucana flock. The fav boy is friendly and gentle the fav ladies are to dumb to free range ha ha cute but not the sharpest he has his work cut out for him even in the tractor. I really hope I can keep both and I can bring my chickens to college ha ha.

Back
Top Bottom