Rooster puffed up

Pics

JDGreene

Songster
Oct 18, 2018
Tennessee
My rooster appeared to be puffed up like he wasn't feeling too good earlier today. My other 7 hens were acting just fine. I had to leave and when I got back it was dark and they were roosting so I didn't bother him.

What should I be looking at or keeping an eye on to see what the problem might be? Maybe he will feel better tomorrow.

My rooster appeared to be puffed up like he wasn't feeling too good earlier today. My other 7 hens were acting just fine. I had to leave and when I got back it was dark and they were roosting so I didn't bother him.

What should I be looking at or keeping an eye on to see what the problem might be? Maybe he will feel better tomorrow.
Is he eating and drinking? Are his droppings normal?

Well I assume he has been. Not exactly sure. I should have more time tomorrow to see and will try to watch.

I failed to mention I started them on Corid 6 days ago because I saw a reddish blob in some roosting poop two days in a row from what I assume a single chicken. Maybe it was his poo. Haven't seen anything else in their poo in since so I assumed the affected one was getting better. He just started being puffed up this morning though.

Pictures of the poop would help ... You stated "blob" possible intestinal lining or something someone ate. If you separate him from the flock it would help determine if it's him or someone else. If he's eating, drinking, pooping ... it's just keep a close eye on him for now. Pictures are helpful.

How old is he?
What are you feeding?
Any recent changes?

Well I assume he has been. Not exactly sure. I should have more time tomorrow to see and will try to watch.

I failed to mention I started them on Corid 6 days ago because I saw a reddish blob in some roosting poop two days in a row from what I assume a single chicken. Maybe it was his poo. Haven't seen anything else in their poo in since so I assumed the affected one was getting better. He just started being puffed up this morning though.
I would separate him from the flock for a few days to get a look of his droppings.

I got him separated in a cage this morning. It appears he may have injured his foot or leg. He doesn't care for walking on it. I didn't see anything obvious with the foot and leg. He also shakes his head a little like he might have an ear infection or something.

This evening he appears to be doing slightly better or at least not worse. I gave him some electrolytes and vitamins in his water. I witnessed him drinking but not eating. He is 31 weeks old.

The droppings appear normal but they have a slightly green tint to them, which he has been eating grass from free ranging. It seems like there is alot less poop than what I figured would be in the cage. He also eats a starter grower feed. There have been no changes in the routine that I can remember.

I got him separated in a cage this morning. It appears he may have injured his foot or leg. He doesn't care for walking on it. I didn't see anything obvious with the foot and leg. He also shakes his head a little like he might have an ear infection or something.

This evening he appears to be doing slightly better or at least not worse. I gave him some electrolytes and vitamins in his water. I witnessed him drinking but not eating. He is 31 weeks old.

The droppings appear normal but they have a slightly green tint to them, which he has been eating grass from free ranging. It seems like there is alot less poop than what I figured would be in the cage. He also eats a starter grower feed. There have been no changes in the routine that I can remember.
If he is 31 weeks old I think it may be safe to say It’s not Mareks disease as that shows up in birds 16- 24 weeks of age. Probably an injury of some sort I would watch him and keep giving him the electrolytes and vitamins.

He still hasn't pooped much at all. I'm talking like almost nothing. Would that be because he hasn't been eating? I haven't seen him eat anything yet. Maybe a crop problem?

Tail is down. He is a little better at standing and walking.

He still hasn't pooped much at all. I'm talking like almost nothing. Would that be because he hasn't been eating? I haven't seen him eat anything yet. Maybe a crop problem?

Tail is down. He is a little better at standing and walking.
Is there anything he could have ate? Like anything. Do you have any plastic or trash in your yard?

He could have eaten any certain type of insect or worm or possibly gourged on some clover.
He has eaten a little salmon today but still pooped very little. Maybe it's because he hasn't eaten much or constipated, I don't know.

I've been feeling around on his breastbone for the crop and there is a hard bump that I can physically move around, maybe half the size of a golfball. Is there a bone or something in that area that would move like that or is that the crop? Really haven't felt for the crop before so I don't know exactly where that is. Whatever it is, it has been there the whole day. Could this be an impacted crop causing these symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom