1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster, pullet, or too early to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by staceyl, May 15, 2011.

1. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    The large one on the left.
    S/he is a Maran, 6-7 weeks old.
    Things that make me think rooster: Red comb, large size, load peep, thick legs
    Things that make me think pullet: Body shape, tail feathers, mellow personality.

S/he is my only maran, the one behind her is a barred rock, so I can't compare her directly. They could be up to a week apart in age also.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Rooster.

3. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Oh, and you can't tell in the pic but s/he has no wattle.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  4. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I'm going off of the large comb, big feet, thick legs, large body, and coloring (barred birds can be sexed by color).

Sorry. [​IMG]

5. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Well shoot. I wanted some dark eggs.
    Do you know if Maran roosters are generally mellow? I can keep a rooster, but not if its mean. The rooster we got last year was evil, but made good burritos. [​IMG]

6. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Anyone?

7. Cowgirl71

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I've been busy, haven't been on BYC for a couple days... Sorry!

No, I've never had any Marans and don't know very much about them. I generally stick with the more common breeds, especially Rhode Island Reds, Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, and Easter Eggers. [​IMG]

8. Chickmate

Chickmate Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    SE Michigan
    I have Barred Rocks and can sex them by color, but have never had any Cuckoo Marans, so don't know if they can be sexed by color as well. If they color the same way the BRs do, I'd say that's a rooster.

9. staceyl

Jul 2, 2009
    Thanks Cowgirl. I was sort of hoping someone would contradict you and tell me that I have a pullet. But I suspect that's wishful thinking. So, anyone ever have a maran rooster? Since I'm probably stuck with a boy, I'm at least hoping for a nice boy.

10. KaneMoa

KaneMoa Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I have a 8 month old Cuckoo Moran Rooster. He's a really good boy, rarely crows. He lives with a a Leghorn Rooster, they're best buddies. I'm not sure if that typical of the breed though. The Maran Roo gets huge, mine is young and towers over the Leghorn who's no slouch himself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by