Rooster? Raising Chicks?

He actually screeches. It’s not pretty.. haha but he’s nvr laid an egg & he has waddles. Looks much different than my hen. I thought it was strange when he 1st started getting in the nest as soon as my hen would leave it.
I’ve had them both a little less than a year. I wasn’t sure who was who but I’m pretty confident he is a he. Is there a way to add videos?
Thanks for your response :)
You have to upload to YouTube & then copy link to here

I think Silkie roos have some sort of parental instinct. My white roo (definitely a roo) fathered some chicks. I have 3 hens and 1 roo. The other hens would take turns sitting on the nest and often the roo would sit right along with them. After the babies hatched I couldn't believe it, but the rooster would get babysitting duty. He would be sitting outside in the sun with the chicks in his feathers while mama was eating!!

Growing up we called hens like this hensters. When there is no one doing rooster duty, sometimes a female will step into the role, try to crow, stop laying, vocalizing more, becoming more aggressive, and even growing mini-spurs in some breeds.
But yeah, as someone who has raised a lot of silkies, those are both hens, I think. The males can take 7 months so show gender, though, but they also won't do female behaviours.

My Silkie Rooster went broody & has been sitting on eggs right next to my hen.19 days in they successfully hatched 3 chicks View attachment 2550905

View attachment 2549312View attachment 2549314
I saw that you said that they'll be a year in April? Here's my non-bearded roo at 7 months for a bit of feature reference. Good luck sexing those new chicks!
IMG_20210225_172152_494.jpg

Here he is at 3 months, you can see his comb starting to get a decent size and early wattles
IMG_20210225_172152_469.jpg

Silkies are such hard little fellas to sex, but this is a great site to hear what other people think as early as 8 weeks!

I saw that you said that they'll be a year in April? Here's my non-bearded roo at 7 months for a bit of feature reference. Good luck sexing those new chicks!
View attachment 2564721
Here he is at 3 months, you can see his comb starting to get a decent size and early wattles
View attachment 2564725
Silkies are such hard little fellas to sex, but this is a great site to hear what other people think as early as 8 weeks!
I’m in love with your rooster!

Back
Top Bottom