Rooster Ratio

foxy2320

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 15, 2012
Oregon
I have 8 girls right now (I had 9, but one is turning into a handsome boy). He isn't crowing, isn't showing any signs of being sexually mature yet. He's a BLRW, and is only 6-7 months. I found another BLRW roo on craigslist that has more of the coloring I want, and I'm wondering if I can integrate another roo since the one I have isn't behaving as a roo yet. No crowing, no protecting, he spends as much time with his butt in the air foraging as the other girls. He's just now starting to develop his wattles, and I'm just curious whether this would be an okay thing since my flock is essentially roo-less and always has been. Note: JayJay (the cockerel in my profile pic) was supposed to be a girl, and was just confirmed on here today that he is a boy.

In rough terms, you only need about 1 rooster per 10 hens. That is a good number for high fertility of the eggs, but enough hens that the rooster doesn't over-mate them. If you have too many roosters in the flock, the hens will be over-mated and look pretty ragged, since the rooster will pull feathers off them while mating. If you ever see a picture of a hen with a bare back, it is because she's getting too much attention from the rooster(s) in the flock.

So in your shoes, I would be hesitant to add another rooster, but if you are thinking about replacing JayJay, that might work. He is young yet though - you might give him a little more time to develop and start realizing he's the boss?

I'm not really thinking of replacing him, but I've been on the fence about whether or not to breed, and a beautiful roo of different bloodline has come available locally, and BLRW aren't common around here, so I kind of see it as an opportunity. I'm working on getting another coop and more hens, so my flock will be growing, just not sure exactly when.

Ahhhh....chicken math already got you
wink.png
...say no more!

I have one little BLRW hen on whom I'm waiting to start laying. She is a recent addition to my flock and was on the point of lay then. She belonged to a friend of mine who had 8 hens but 2 pit bulls got into his backyard and killed all but her. He didn't want her to be a lonely hen so asked me to adopt her so she'd have a flock, and he will start again with chicks in the spring. She looks ready to lay but I'm sure the trauma of surviving the dog attack and then moving to a new property has delayed the onset of laying for her. She is a sweet little thing though.

I would say keep him. I have several roo's and even more hens. You never know what might happen. They will eventually scuffle so if you have 3 roo's it is better. They have less time to pick on each other if they have 3. I had just two and had to put both down due to hurting each other. I have 5 adult roo's and there is rarley a scuffle. They just chase each other. Good luck on what ever you decide.

Chicken math? Haven't heard that one before, I might need a crash course
pop.gif

I just hate to pass up an opportunity, and this guy is used to being with other roos, and gets along fine with younger ones. I'm torn, still not sure what I'll do. At first this was just going to be a way to get eggs and expand with only hens, but the chick thing sounds fun, and there are lots of predators out here. Anything to justify adding to the flock, right?

How many hens do you have, astormygirl? My concern is that I only have four layers right now, so I need to check on how agressively he's mating. The current owner seemed to think my flock would be a good fit for him, and she was excited to possibly have another breeder in the area. And she's more interested in seeing him go to a good place than just getting rid of him, so we'll see.

It's totally a Your Milage Might Vary type of thing. The only thing you can do is try it and see how it goes. A lot will depend on space--IMO this is vital in keeping multiple roos. And things in the run to break line of sight sometimes--my jr roo spends a lot of time behind a stock tank and a garbage can on it's side. Just know you might need to pull your current cockerel out if the older guy takes major offense to him. Or the young guy might submit and they'll live happily ever after, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom