The Rub looks fantastic, right up my alley. Arnica and then some.

I'll track some down today or order it online if I can't find it locally.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

I try to use herbal medicine when ever possible. Here is my recipe for Herbal Antibiotic and Immune System Support.

1 (760 mg) Capsule, Echinacea
1 (400 mg) Capsule, Golden Seal
1 teaspoon Hempseed Protein Powder (or other protein powder)
2 teaspoons warm water
1 teaspoon Agave Nectar, * optional

Dosage for chicken:
weight 5 lbs. = 1.25 mL, twice daily
May be given three times daily, 7 days, for severe symptoms: lack of appetite, diarrhea & lethargy.
Use for no more than 10 days.

First, thank you for keeping us updated. We are reading and learning from Henry's horrible incident with the coyote.

I always tell people how great herbal medicine can be. The only issue is that herbs have a cumulative value. Meaning you are against the clock. A strong immune system and will to survive are crucial. Henry has proven he has both. At this point an injectable broad spectrum antibiotic, like Baytril, would help. But, if you cannot do this and have chosen the herbal route, that too can work.

His leg issue needs to be addressed, I have had much success with Comfrey poultice.
I have used Comfrey for smashed fingers, deep bruises, twisted ankles etc. While I have not applied a poultice to an animal, I would definitely do so if they needed it. Comfrey was widely used in rural communities to heal broken bones when doctors were not available. That's why it is also referred to as Knit Bone. Poultices need to be changed every 12 hours. Improvement should be noticed the first day, with a decrease in pain. As long as there are no open wounds or sign of external infection where the poultice is to be placed, it can be done.

You are doing things in a timely manner, not even doctors will perform certain procedures till a patient is stable.

Anyways, there you go...something else to think about. :)

Your sweet little hen just had herself a wonderful day!

Would you please enlighten me on the benefits of epsom salt? I've come across several posts in the forums about it and would love to know what it does and what the various scenarios are where it can safely be used.

I have always used Epsom Salt around the house: hot soaks, plant fertilizer, hair rinse, and things like that.

But, I was surprised to see it mentioned in the book, "Chicken Encyclopedia", by Gail Damerow. Epsom Salt is recommended as a treatment for cleansing the system of poison or intestinal disease. Besides using herbs, my mother also used Epsom Salt for many things. So, I decided to look into using it for my chickens. I found there simply isn't enough scientific study on it's use.

So it's partly validated by science and also one of those folk remedies. You'll have to decide if it works or not. It is actually Magnesium Sulfate, and is believed to be antibacterial and antifungal. Many chicken keepers recommend soaking a hen that is egg bound or having hormonal issues, in a bath of Epsom Salt. The magnesium is absorbed through the skin and helps the hen metabolize calcium, which is important to their reproductive system.

I used it when one of my hens was trying to expel a soft shelled egg, 30 minutes after the Epsom Salt soak, she expelled the egg. I have also used it to soak my rooster's vent area when he was suffering from Vent Gleet. Relief seemed to be immediate as he fell asleep during this soak. His red inflamed skin was lighter the next day! I also sprayed his vent area with some olive oil non-stick spray to protect the skin.
You know about my little Riki's sore legs, she fell asleep after too! If nothing else, it appears to be a relaxing experience for the chicken. LOL!

But, my most impressive experience with Epsom Salt was this Summer. My Black Star hen began to swell around her vent area and up to her keel bone. Within days she struggled to walk. I read horror stories about similar symptoms in other hens. Hens were having their abdomens drained with syringes, then dying. Others, ruptured their abdomens with the entrails dragging on the ground! My heart sank, what could I do for her that didn't involve needles? I prayed on it, and I awoke in the middle of the night with a plan.

Detoxification is another unsubstantiated claim of Epsom Salt. But, it is what I believe saved my Filamena's life. Her swelling was caused by ascites build up, which is the body's way of trying to rid itself of toxins. From what? I do not know. Her treatment plan included a soak in Epsom Salt, 3 times a week, for 10 minutes each time. No jumping up or off the perch, to prevent rupture. Internal detox and liver support with Aloe Vera 80 Detox formula, in water and moistened feed. I used "The Rub" Arnica cream alternately with "Preparation H" and Baby Diaper ointment on her swollen abdomen each day, morning and evening.

After six weeks, I took her to my vet, I was feeling low. She wasn't getting better. But she was eating and drinking and trying to follow her flock. I was ready to euthanize, but the vet said, no. He recommended I take her home and let her live out her chicken days that God had set for her. There was nothing to be done for her. So, I brought her home and I decided to continue her treatment plan. It was tiring, but it was the least I could do for my beloved Filamena. Then, a week and a half later I noticed her walking normally! I picked her up and examined her. Her swelling had reduced about 50%. Three days later, all swelling was gone! She was eating like crazy and running and flapping her wings with joy!

Well, that just goes to show what we think we know!

And now you have some more stuff to think about...LOL!!!

Just saw your last post about Henry's leg. So sorry to hear about that new development. Trust in yourself, you are there we are not.

As Wyorp Rock said, we all support you here...God Bless you and Henry!
Thank you, Hen Pen Jem.

No decrease in vitality or eating habits, just that one disappointing development with his lame leg. The wounds are healing incredibly well — deep, grotesque wounds and a body cavity puncture.

But darn that leg.

The comfrey is a wonder for his elbow that's been sitting still with so much weight on it, and redness elsewhere on the leg. It's a gem in any herbal healer's medicine kit.

Tumeric is catching my eye today, and epsom salt. They are ringing bells for me, so I'm about to float a rooster, carefully and possibly with the aid of a sling. Totally supervised in case he tips.

The undercarriage wounds are superficial and healing wonderfully well. They now look like mild scrapes. Epsom salt should be a boon for them, and his leg.

So the boy will float and be dipped up to his exit hatch, and if all goes well he'll get a proper bath to help with all of those honey matted feathers.

And just like that I was almost squished by a HUGE pine cone as I typed that last paragraph. My little forays with my laptop as I follow the flock around are hazardous. I'm going to need body armor and a people sized vat of honey to keep the human, pawed and feathered flocks safe and on the mend around here.

Sunshine Flock Headmaster signing off.

G'morning, folks.

I'm grateful for BYC and the opportunity to record all the nuances of Henry's healing process. I came close to putting him down, and there were several days where I thought for sure my boy was worsening and would soon be swapping out his rooster wings for those other wings.

But Henry continues to breathe air and stay strong, and I'm hopeful for his recovery.

That said I also understand there are always the unknowns, and although I've found some peace in this experience and have considerably relaxed into the daily routines I've created for his care, I know he's vulnerable.

My focus at this point is curing his boredom, socializing him with his flock, and maintaining his healing regimen.

I'd love to tuck this entire experience, and what is still to come, between the covers of a little book, called "That Rooster Henry" in keeping with the title of my favorite book "That Quail Robert" — and I'd love for some of the proceeds to benefit this forum and in particular a resource library here on natural healing, with a focus on homeopathic medicine.

For now I'm going to stop my numerous postings.

I frequent the emergencies forum and have responded to people in need of urgent feedback. Only so many discussions can fit on the front page of that forum, and this one is there a lot. Henry has overcome some serious injuries, and for now I feel I'd rather not hog up space on the front page and would prefer to let this discussion go for a bit.

Meanwhile, Henry Houdini the Wonder Rooster thanks you from the depths of his heart, wherever it's located. I'm still trying to figure out air sacs; those things are curious contraptions. But I know there's a beating heart in there somewhere.

And I thank you, too.

Peace and glad tidings.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I didn't realize with homeopathics that you want to trigger a healing response and then stop treatment for a while. You can repeat in cycles, but it's not necessary or even helpful to douse the bird with remedies when you start seeing a positive response.

So basically I'm struggling with stepping back and being hands off. As @Birdinhand says it's time to let Henry take over and give him some space for his body to heal on its own.

I'm still doing daily epsom salt soaks on the legs and every two or three days I'm giving him a full soak in a tub to address his other wounds. He's shoved in his sling a couple times a day, at varying heights to challenge his legs to regain strength.

He actively hobbles around on his good leg and stands upright, and the hip on his injured leg now has mobility. It was completely lifeless before. This helps him lift that leg up and over as he moves.

I'm also still using honey on some of his wounds, the bigger ones, and his legs. The honey is what led to the noticeable healing on his leg, once I removed the dead scales. The scales were pretty much just sitting there. The flesh underneath was bright red and swollen when I removed them, and then after a full day of honey, they started to mend, and now the swelling on those scales has gone down and the redness is gone.

I sure wish I knew why he got these red patches and why they grew and became infected — and especially why he has growing patches of infection on his good leg. It's very curious and almost seems independent of the attack, except for perhaps the stress Henry experienced and how that can trigger dormant problems to suddenly come to life.

I'll see if I can take some photos today.

Post a photo of the hens legs - Most likely what the pink/red dot on her is due to hormones, You will see what I'm saying about hormones - On dark colored legs like Australorps, you won't see the streaks, but light colored legs (white, yellow) it's normal to have pinkish/red dots or streaks in sexually active males and hens in lay. The photo in this thread shows a BO in this case - note the red goes all the way up the leg. In my BO boy, his legs would be really red in the morning and then late in the day when his hormones were raging (most actively mating) My girls would also have similar coloring as well. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/buff-orpington-has-red-legs-and-feet.486168/

Now, in Henry's case - I would say this is infection and maybe a circulation problem, especially on the bad leg. On the good leg, the redness is not uniform enough (to me) for it to be hormones either.

I would not try to lift the scales or pick them off. I'm sure you have said this, but I read so many threads, so I'm sorry if this is repeating information.
How long does he spend in the sling each day? Can he walk at all on his own, even if it's hobbling around?

Are you still just using honey for the wounds or are you soaking the legs as well?
I forgot to respond to your comment on the pink dots on my hen's legs. Hortense is the underling in the pack. She's smaller than everyone else and lowest in the pecking order. Her comb is very small and a pale pink, no hint of red and yet she's seven months old. I don't think she started laying eggs. With what you mentioned I did some reading and sure enough, sexually maturing hens may have a change in color to their legs.

I'm certain that's what it is. One less worry. Thank you!

Worries do abound with Henry, though. When I brought home some organic raw cranberries and decided to see if Henry would like one (I'm conservative on treats, I should mention), he gobbled it up whole, no chewing. Chickens don't have teeth, so naturally no chewing. But the cranberry was huge. I was expecting him to pulverize it like he does with other things.

I swear it's like Henry has died a thousand deaths throughout this experience. Death by cranberry was not going to leave my honor in tact. But he hardly even blinked when he swallowed it down and was perfectly calm and Henry. I was the one freaking out.

I'm pretty sure Google hates me by now.

Wow...I just read this entire heart-wrenching story from the beginning. I felt an incredible need to chime in just to try and help you in some way...but I had nothing to offer. :(

To all the BYC folks that did have the knowledge, offered it up immediately and held her hand through this.... * :clap * STANDING OVATION!!! * :clap *

@CarolinaSunshineFlock ...dang...Florence Nightingale! :bow You are truly a good Momma Hen! :hugs

Mr. Henry...your will to live is an inspiration to us all! I firmly believe Divine Intervention indeed had a role in all of this as well...:D Keep going, buddy!

Mr. Coyote...count your blessings that you stalk CarolinaSunshineFlock's yard and not KettermanHillCoop's yard...because your furry butt would of met the business end of my hunting rifle...in a heartbeat.

Someone told me BYC is not my personal blogging space. That's why I've been so hesitant to post updates here and finally decided to stop.

Stunning!:th

And why not make this thread your personal blog??? I'm already subscribed. BYCLand is large and diverse. There is no shortage of 'air-time'.
I look forward eagerly to your posts and I feel dismayed that 'someone' might have caused a scarcity of them. @Nifty-Chicken is the 'governor' of BYCLand, so unless he is the 'someone' - just disregard.

Can't wait for the video updates you mentioned.

:hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom