Pics
Oh yeah. I have to say that I don't notice the taste in small amounts. I've learned that a drop or two is plenty to massage into my sore feet and I don't get the wild garlicky after taste with it.

The friend who pointed it out to me did warn me to be careful in that if you use it regularly, say to massage sore feet, make sure you wear white socks because it can stain your skin with color if you wear a patterned sock or solid color. She said she wore 'black' anklets for ages when she started using it. I tend to massage it in at night before I go to bed so no worries there and I have had no problems with it leaching color into my skin.

I think it does help my feet and I think it did help our young brainless dog when she tried to take on a RAM truck..

Hey, don't forget me! I could use an adjustment, too!! I've just spent five weeks in various contorted positions, hovered over an ornery rooster who quickly developed a strong dislike of silver plated butter knifes dripping in honey!!!

This morning he bit my ankle when I stepped too close. That's a rooster for you, folks.

Now, a couple of questions. I knew nothing about nerve and bone healing until this discussion and some of the private messages I've received. It's been quite an education for me, and a good one. Is the idea that left unattended with minimal to no movement, joints and muscles actually stiffen? What does this mean exactly?

Henry just spent some quality time foraging with his flock. As the wind picked up and they started fluffing up and blowing sideways, they headed for the chicken run. The boy followed as far as he could until he encountered a small shrub and got stuck. I was tempted to help him, but the challenge of trying to navigate around it to catch up with the egg layers triggered some desperation in him to figure it out, and he did.

Is there such a thing as too much movement at this point in his healing? Could he tear or strain nerves or his healing joints? I suffer from anxiety and know all about nerves, but not those kind of nerves. How much is too much, or should I not give it another thought?

And boredom. As I'm writing these very words, Henry is repeatedly plucking at a long thread hanging from the feed bag. I'm going to cut it off in a minute; I don't want him getting it stuck in his crop. A hen ate a rubber band not too long ago, so I know they love anything long and wiggly.

But this got me thinking. Are there jungle gym toys I can create that will fascinate him and help stave off some of his boredom? I've been keeping his food just out of reach for a few weeks, once he started regaining some of his mobility. I do this every day. But I'd like to do more and also create opportunities for him to engage in movement activities on his own.

I'd welcome thoughts on this. Thanks and I'm off to Starbucks.

Carla

you might really enjoy the book "animals make us human" by Temple Grandin, a high functioning autistic woman. her unique perspective and sensitivities has helped bring a lot of awareness to the meat industry with respect to how animals feel. she has a chapter on chickens and goes into a bit about making chicken "fascinators" to help enrich their lives. I wouldn't worry too much about his boredom at this point. given more time to exercise he will likely need some rest without a lot to do in between. I think getting him out with the hens is a great idea as long as you are there to observe and assure one or more of them doesn't decide to dominate him. I guess you'll just have to watch and see. reintegrating him into the flock may take a long time. I think it's encouraging that he is preening his injured leg. as mentioned, neuropathy is a common thing with recovery from paralysis. I've had patients describe it as feeling like their limb is on fire. my guess is that if Henry were having a lot of neuropathy pain, he'd be less apt to preen, but who knows, he may have some pain ahead as sensation returns. I'm not a vet and really don't know how his healing will differ from humans but I also have had a decent amount of experience with many injured farm animals and I can say pretty confidently that his progress is fantastic and that it's time to increase activity to the point that he can tolerate without showing issues the next day. I would use any increase in swelling or increase in him favoring the injured leg as a sign that maybe the last session was a little too much. if you do not see signs of pain or swelling over time then incrementally increasing of the activity level should be good, should help him rewire. "That Chicken Henry" is coming along beautifully!

Thank you so much for the video. He looks great!! He should continue to improve with your care. :hugs

Edit @CarolinaSunshineFlock I wish you would write an article about the use of Manuka honey(and other types of honey) and submit it for consideration to the learning center. You could illustrate it with fotos of Henry's progress. I do think it is important info, especially if you can cite a published reference or study on some of the recognition honey is getting for wound treatment recently.
You could explain how and why you used it, etc... jmo ;D
x2 on this article!
I'd love to see it!

I received a request to post an updated video of Henry walking, so here you go, folks! He walks a fair amount on his own, but he tends to prefer sitting on a soft patch of grass (it's finally greening up here) while digging in the dirt with his beak.

Henry actively crows now. It took a few weeks for his crowing to progress from a choked gargle to a standing rooster who belts out his crowing with gusto and confidence. I can no longer find most of his wounds; they've healed beautifully and are now covered under a new batch of fledgling feathers.

And the sucking puncture wound has just a small scab and seems to be sealed over with fresh tissue and a ring of new feathers.

The legs have been my primary concern, the right one in particular. He has yet to show any indication of feeling in the foot. The toes move in reflex when I try to straighten the crooked knee. The angle you see the right knee at in the video is just about as far as it will extend at this point, and the ankle is a solid block with no flex whatsoever.

But there's still a mound of swollen tissue engulfing that joint, which gives me hope that Henry may regain at least some use of his right foot.

The head hen Rosemary tried to perch on the top of my open laptop today, knocked it down and off flew the letter F. Do you know how many letter Fs are in this post? More than I can handle. It's time for some photos and two videos and then I'm closing shop for the night.

Quick note on the photos: You can see soft pink skin and the formation of new scales. He lost a couple dozen from the swelling and sores. The leg portion above the ankle has significantly decreased in size. Just two or so weeks ago it was horribly swollen and extremely hot to the touch.

Okay, that's it for now. Peace and glad tidings!

P1120006.jpg

P1120004.jpg

P1120003.jpg

P1120002.jpg

Attachments

• P1120002.jpg
    P1120002.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 0
  • P1120003.jpg
    P1120003.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1120004.jpg
    P1120004.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 0
:wee:ya:celebrate:jumpy:highfive::woot

Gimmy an "H", gimmy an "E", gimmy an "N", gimmy an "R", gimmy a "Y"!

Gimmy an "H-E-N-R-Y"!

What does is spell? "HENRY"!!!!!

YEA!!!, YIPPY, WOO-HO!

Watch out folks, Henry's on his way!

Awesome care of your rooster, and awesome faith...CarolinaSunshineFlock!

God's Blessings to you! :thumbsup
Oh, boy. You must have known I'd still be lurking in these parts! Thanks for all the good cheer and emoji love!!!

:p

wow, just wow! I would say that Henry has progressed significantly from the previous video to these two. I didn't remember his foot being so banged up. if he was bitten there at his ankle, it may have severed a nerve but it may be peripheral enough to grow back. in humans you'd be looking at a 12-18 month trajectory where improvement would still be possible, but often quite slow. if the nerve damage is from the pelvis/spine area, then he is more likely to have some permanent loss. his movement is looking more and more natural. it's going to be very interesting to see what happens with that foot! I am personally very encouraged by what I'm seeing, he's actually putting weight on it. he and his foot are getting "reacquainted". since he's already walking and using it, I'd say it bodes very well for the healing to come!

I would not worry so much at this point about the stiffness, he's using the leg and that's what matters at this point. the fact that his toes aren't curling up into a ball and atrophying is wonderful. I think the best thing for Henry is to get stronger and keep moving! once, again, excellent Work CSF!

wow, just wow! I would say that Henry has progressed significantly from the previous video to these two. I didn't remember his foot being so banged up. if he was bitten there at his ankle, it may have severed a nerve but it may be peripheral enough to grow back. in humans you'd be looking at a 12-18 month trajectory where improvement would still be possible, but often quite slow. if the nerve damage is from the pelvis/spine area, then he is more likely to have some permanent loss. his movement is looking more and more natural. it's going to be very interesting to see what happens with that foot! I am personally very encouraged by what I'm seeing, he's actually putting weight on it. he and his foot are getting "reacquainted". since he's already walking and using it, I'd say it bodes very well for the healing to come!

I would not worry so much at this point about the stiffness, he's using the leg and that's what matters at this point. the fact that his toes aren't curling up into a ball and atrophying is wonderful. I think the best thing for Henry is to get stronger and keep moving! once, again, excellent Work CSF!
I have a horrible confession.

There are too many marshmallows in my hot chocolate, and ...

(running for cover, ducking my head, inserting shame emoji)

:oops:

... Hortense the Cannibal pecked Henry's foot today. She suddenly got this wild eyed look and tilted her head to one side as she crept forward, and just like that she lunged and pecked. I should have wrapped his foot but let him go outside au nude.

The other day I mentioned in another discussion that if I were to start a self-help library of books for chickens, the first one would be called:

"Cannibalism in the Twenty-first Century and How to Be a Better You."

Whew, I feel much better now. You can't trust chickens. You just can't.

ETA: And from now on Henry's leg will be properly wrapped and protected so this doesn't happen again. I applied goldenseal to the wound right away and let it air dry just before the video.

"Cannibalism in the Twenty-first Century and How to Be a Better You."

ha, ha, that made me laugh! so, my only worry with wrapping at this point is that you want him to regain as much of a normal gate as soon as possible, especially since he is putting his foot down flat. If you can cordon off an area of the run just for him, that might be the way to go and then add hens in with him, under direct observation. the pecking order of the flock has invariably changed in his absence, so there is surely an alpha hen or two that will defend their new found positions. if all treat him well except "Hortense", then I'd put her in solitary, while Henry and the others get free reign of the run. IMHO, Henry's efforts to use his foot will improve the healing process of the nerves and or help him adapt and rewire, ideally this would be unencumbered by bandages at this point in the healing process.

Back
Top Bottom