Rooster seems sick or stressed?

Backyardchickens28

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2021
Santa Barbara, California
Hi this is my first time here. I have 1 rooster. He hasn't crowed in over a week and he just seems to lay around all day and sleep standing up. He isn't eating as much as before. Does anybody have any clue on him? He seems healthy. This is the first time I've had chickens so I don't really know much and google isn't helping.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

• How old is he?
  • Did you check him and the coop for poultry mites and/or lice? It's the time of the year ...
  • What are you feeding?
  • How does his poop look? (Pictures?)
  • Feel his crop: is it bloated and squishy or rather hard like a ball?
  • Does his crop empty overnight, is it empty in the morning before they get their breakfast?
  • You can put him in a crate without food for the night to check the crop early early in the morning.
  • Was he vaccinated against Marek's disease?

He does have mites, I'll figure out what I can do to get rid of them.
Deal with this first!
Permethrin spray and/or dust.
Got to figure if they are just on the birds or in the coop too.
Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Temperatures are about low 70s, It never goes above 80
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1625168036247.png

Did you get a good look at his eyes, meaning can he see properly?

What breed is he?
He can see properly he knows his surroundings or where he's at but his eyes do seem tired they don't look fully open and they look puffy. I dont know his breed but he is a white rooster he turned yellow. His comb and wattle are small they are like those rooster who have it hanging.

Attachments

• 20210630_150740.jpg
    20210630_150740.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 5
His comb does have a purplish tinge and he seems a bit dehydrated to me, which could be due to the diarrhea/watery poop you noticed.

He might need a thorough deworming and some rooster booster afterwards.

What exactly are the ingredients of "game cock" feed? Does he have access to grit to help with the digestion of the dry corn you feed him?

What are the temperatures where you live? And did you check him all over for poultry mites and lice?

How long is it that this rooster joined your flock?

• How old is he? I will say about 1 year old and some months. We didn't raise him, we got him from a family who couldn't have a rooster.

• Did you check him and the coop for poultry mites and/or lice? It's the time of the year ...
    • What are you feeding?
    • How does his poop look? (Pictures?)
    • Feel his crop: is it bloated and squishy or rather hard like a ball?
    • Does his crop empty overnight, is it empty in the morning before they get their breakfast?
    • You can put him in a crate without food for the night to check the crop early early in the morning.
    • Was he vaccinated against Marek's disease?

• How old is he? He is about 1 years old, we disnt raise him we got him from a lady who couldn't keep a rooster.
  • Did you check him and the coop for poultry mites and/or lice? It's the time of the year ... nope I haven't gotten to that but I will now.
  • What are you feeding? I am feeding him game cock and dry corn.
  • How does his poop look? (Pictures?) His poop is usually watery sometimes diarrhea
  • Feel his crop: is it bloated and squishy or rather hard like a ball? It is hard
  • Does his crop empty overnight, is it empty in the morning before they get their breakfast? Yes it usually does
  • Was he vaccinated against Marek's disease? I don't know I think not.
And addition to this he doesn't hang out with the other chickens he is usually in the shade or somewhere dark.

His comb does have a purplish tinge and he seems a bit dehydrated to me, which could be due to the diarrhea/watery poop you noticed.

What exactly are the ingredients of "game cock" feed? Does he have access to grit to help with the digestion of the dry corn you feed him?

What are the temperatures where you live? And did you check him all over for poultry mites and lice?

He actually drinks a lot of water.

He's been in our flock for about 7 months. Temperatures are about low 70s, It never goes above 80. He does have mites, I'll figure out what I can do to get rid of them. He hasn't been drinking a lot of water so maybe it's the lack of dehydration, I went to our local store of chickens they said it might be the rise of temperature and dehydration. We bought him some powder that goes in water its called Valsyn NF.

Back
Top Bottom