Rooster shivering with bloody comb

bswilson

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
I opened up the coop this morning and discovered my normally aggressive and active rooster huddling in the corner shivering. He's got a bloody comb no obvious cut or scratch. The blood seems to be coming mostly from the "crotch" between 2 tips. I brought him inside, cleaned it up, and sprayed some antiseptic on it. I gave him an inspection and nothing else seems amiss, but he won't stop shivering.

It's been just barely hitting below freezing lately, so I suppose it's possible that it's frostbite, but we've had roosters with frostbite before and this seems different.

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

I'd personally isolate him from the other birds, as other chickens often pick a the color red. You can put some antibiotic ointment (with no painkillers or "caine" ingredients) on the comb, too.

Is he ill? A sick rooster will be picked on by other chickens, even the hens. Respiratory illnesses will also cause chilling and shivering. Maybe a predator such as a rat or weasel got in and injured him. Lots of scenarios.

Keep him warm,when ill/injured/shock chickens cannot regulate their body temp,that is why additional heat is required. Clean wound,give electrolytes for shock/stress. Make sure he is eating/drinking,most important for him to be drinking as chickens become dehydrated very fast.

Back
Top Bottom