Rooster Size??

NonnasBabies

Muddy Acre Farms
12 Years
Sep 20, 2009
Pride, La.
When does a rooster reach his full size that he will be?? I'm raising my first rooster from a chick and really have no clue!
idunno.gif
The one I already had was full grown when I got him.

Thanks for the help!
Missi

Going by your signature, 18 months should be as tall as they are going to be. But he may fill out more by 2 years.

Forgot to add that my other roo that is fully grown is part banty so he is a bit smaller than a reg rooster! He's also being a pain in the rear to my 6 month old. (chasing him away from certain areas of the yard, coming at him from out the blue, and will not let him stay on the ground when their locked in the coop. Just making his life hell in general) I also have another roo that's 13 weeks old and I have a feeling I'm going to have problems with him also when he's old enough to be intergrated. Just kinda also wondering if this is normal behavior when you have more than 2 roos together. There's 44 girls with these 2!!

Thanks,
Missi

For a hybrid type rooster like yours, I'd say by a year old, he'll be as large as he'll ever get. Some breeds mature later, though, such as the BBS Orpingtons I have. Those boys may not reach their full size until 18 months to two years old.

Psst, Missi, it's against the BYC rules to bump your own posts.
wink.png

Quote:
Would it have been better if I would have reposted this in another post since I still didn't get an answer in this one??? Just trying to figure out the proper protocol!!

Thank You!

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it!

Last edited:
Boy you have a lot of hens! If you intend on getting babies you may need all those boys. Well to start welcome to the wonderful world of testosterone! With my experience with roo's is. Sometimes you get a alpha that will tolerate a sub rooster darting in and out of the hens. More times than not the alpha will just wear himself out trying to keep an eye on his girls and the sneaky rooster and when he gets a hold of him they can get pretty messy. If you have a favorite keep him alpha and if you have room separate the other ones with some girls. Ive just learned this year that you can keep boys together in their own pen (no girls) and they wont fight! Im trying that this winter. So my long winded answer is if you have a nice gentle roo keep him, not only will he be good for the hens but to the babies too. Get rid of the high strung rapists. Sorry for that term but they are. They just cause trouble with everybody and the hens will thank you . My Alpha was the best dad he would bring over bugs for the babies and also let them climb under his wings. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom