Rooster started humping my TV remote.😱

Pics
That’s true. But, so are the other types of birds people more commonly keep as house pets (like quail and doves).
But, a flighty chicken who is afraid of people could most likely never be happy inside, just like you wouldn’t keep a feral cat as a house pet.
I think they're a bit different because they're penned up off the ground. Most house chickens I see are loose with a *diaper on the floor

I wish we could see more input, thoughts, experiences from the house chicken side of things on BYC. We’ve got the gamut of thoughts from chickens are poopy critters only useful for meat to half pets/half livestock, to outside only pets, but I haven’t heard much from indoor mostly pets. ...It would be nice to hear about what works and what doesn’t, behaviors and/or behavior changes, concerns and considerations.
I feel like it is probably possible to have a content house chicken(s), but could also be very detrimental, but not enough info to go on. Of course a chicken would be content outside in a coop, too!

Basically, I’d like to hear more from “the other side” to have a well rounded out discussion.
The only indoor Chicken Keepers I have seen truly admired here are those providing baby Chick Care or Special Needs, or end-of-life Compassionate Care inside. Normal Chickens deserve the opportunity to achieve - or approximate their full Chicken potential.

I think it's imaginary to think ALL neighbors love an Adult Rooster. Sure, people express happiness at seeing a baby Chick grow, even watching a Cockerel develop or hearing early attempts at Crowing...but I doubt very much that every person in the apartment complex loves crowing - when they are trying to sleep, or if it becomes louder and incessant. I managed residences - many will just speak to a Manager (or Police, LOL) rather than risking any personal confrontation.

Adding another Roo could get very ugly, especially as their big fighting claw grows out. Every Pet brings with it inevitable separation. To the O.P.: Do the right thing ...re-homing - before you get an eviction notice. Agree that a nearby farm would probably let you visit, or possibly even Pet-Sit when they take a vacation. That could become a wonderful new adventure. Ok that's probably imaginary, too.

Hello- I just joined BackYard Chickens today so that I could could provide support for Hei20 and HeiHei the rooster. I,too, have a house rooster . He hatched about the same time Hei Hei did. I guess that makes him a covid-19 chicken, too. He certainly helped me get through the summer! I hadn't planned to have a house rooster. Unusual circumstances made that happy accident happen. I will share his story when I introduce myself to the community and will also add it to this thread. I hope I can help balance out the naysayers.
Welcome to BYC.

In my opinion, it’s probably a lot better for someone to keep a chicken as a house pet than a parrot. Parrots need constant entertainment, get bored extremely easily, and, according to the arguments on this thread, should actually be kept in huge free-flying flocks like their wild cousins. A lot of parrots end up plucking out their own feathers due to stress. However, people still keep parrots successfully, so what’s so bad about a chicken? Though I do agree that any house chicken should get plenty of supervised time outside, since sunshine, grass, and dirt is good for chickens and they benefit a lot from it.
It would probably be better for him to have chicken companionship. However, again, people keep other extremely social birds (parrots, pigeons, quail, etc) alone inside houses without issue. If he gets enough human companionship, then I see no reason why he can’t be kept inside, as long as he is healthy and happy. If he has no other options, it’s the best choice. Finding a good home for a pet rooster is really hard to do.
Other people on this thread have said that their roosters, who have flocks of hens, will try to mate with objects or hands. It’s not a sign of unhappiness or aggression. Usually cockerels will do it more than adult roosters, but that doesn’t mean that they’re unsatisfied.
Finally, though I’ve read a lot about them, I have never had a house chicken, like most of us on this thread. Here’s some people who actually have- @MilesFluffybutt @AngBantamLuv @Saaniya .
Ive actually had a parrot decide to do a mating dance with my hand... and let me tell you, you stay very very still while the beak that can cut through walnuts in a single chomp holds your hand in its beak 🤣 fact is, chickens ARE domesticated, meaning they live their best lives WITH humans. Parrots are wild, and will always be, no matter how tame they are.

The only indoor Chicken Keepers I have seen truly admired here are those providing baby Chick Care or Special Needs, or end-of-life Compassionate Care inside. Normal Chickens deserve the opportunity to achieve - or approximate their full Chicken potential.

I think it's imaginary to think ALL neighbors love an Adult Rooster. Sure, people express happiness at seeing a baby Chick grow, even watching a Cockerel develop or hearing early attempts at Crowing...but I doubt very much that every person in the apartment complex loves crowing - when they are trying to sleep, or if it becomes louder and incessant. I managed residences - many will just speak to a Manager (or Police, LOL) rather than risking any personal confrontation.

Adding another Roo could get very ugly, especially as their big fighting claw grows out. Every Pet brings with it inevitable separation. To the O.P.: Do the right thing ...re-homing - before you get an eviction notice. Agree that a nearby farm would probably let you visit, or possibly even Pet-Sit when they take a vacation. That could become a wonderful new adventure. Ok that's probably imaginary, too.
I have bantam ornamental chickens, which are my house chickens, and do need far more TLC than a full size chicken, but i agree with you on larger typical breeds.

Also, i am one of those animal lovers, that will give you fair warning (ive learned not to bother asking) and then i will call the police if you disrupt my or my kids sleep.

But also, a roo has a different mindset than a hen.. my little hens love to fall asleep on me and wait for treats (spoiled!!), but a roo has a different job.. to roam, to protect, and to mate. Cuddling isn't on the list 😁

Back
Top Bottom