Rooster struck at husband, now me. What can I do?

Pics
I’ve picked mine up and carried him around for a bit several times. It helps bring their ego down a notch. They learn to Keep a little distance if they don’t want to be dominated. Worth a try.

Right on. I can ramble on about this topic for a bit.
I've got a big boy chantecler x bcm named Meatball that bites me often. He's getting better at it and can get a wee chunk of flesh off if hes determined enough and I let him. He can be as rough and tumble with me as he wants. The rougher the better actually. He's gotten smart enough not to bother when I have gloves on. He will just challenge me with his tough guy dance and start slamming big sticks and rocks on the ground calling me a punk until I take them off and adopt a fighting stance. Then he comes in to do battle. Cute f#kr. He's just starting to figure out how to coordinate some kicks in there. No sharp spurs yet but in time he will grow and realise he's packin heat.
That's when the gloves go back on for our sparring session. I've been training this one from young. This cross always produces very brave boys but low stamina.
So we are working on cardio. They tend to tussle with the other lads too much as teens so I'm being proactive and taught him to save it for me. It worked well. He doesn't cause any issues in the coop and he's a gentle kitty if anyone wants to snuggle him up. He loves attention and kisses from anyone less manly than I quite obviously am.
He looks forward to our scraps and is gradually learning to avoid counter strikes and do the Tyson peekaboo. I'm always down for a donnybrook with this meatball.
When he's ready he will be the guardian of my free range meat flocks. He's a part time duck guard now because muscovy don't take no shZt from nobody.
I love this one. One of my favorites.
The moral of my little story is I'm tougher than a rooster. So are you. Give the little dude a chance to get on top of his testes and stop looking at y'all sideways. I've found that they really respect you when they realise they've been a bit of a dzck and you still left him standing and even fed him.
If you just want to try to break him of it now here's a trick I use:
When he pecks you give him a one two combo then toss him a treat. When goes to eat it give him what for and push him away firmly a couple times while using a verbal command. When he stops advancing turn and walk away and don't look back. He will eat it and learn that you own his world. It works for me maybe it works for you. Or get some sparring gloves and have at it. :smack

It's probably just those teenage hormones. Don't take it personally and don't look too far into it. It is a phase and will pass.

It's possible that a predator, such as a rat or something small, is getting into the coop and upsetting him. This happened to me. My rooster, Beauty, will be 5 years old in May. He was a rescued baby who had a bad leg (leg is fine now). He was a spoiled rotten baby and quite the favorite always. Got better treatment than the other roosters. Is a tame pet most of the time. But when he was about 2 years old, he would viciously and randomly attack me all of a sudden. It was a serious pain in the butt for a while, but I didn't let it affect his standing with us. I kept treating him as a good little rooster and eventually he snapped out of it. I later found out that a rat was getting in, and I think that he was upset because when I would come in he would think for a minute that maybe I was the rat, especially if it was still dark.
Either that or it was just his hormones. He went back to normal for a long time, then last summer into attack mode for a month or so. Anyway he's back to his wonderful affectionate pet self again. I'm sure your boy will return to normal soon.
Very nice story.

The other day my husband was feeding my two chickens and he said that the rooster flew at his hand when he tried to pet him. I didn't see it, but today when I was feeding the chickens, my rooster struck at my hand...twice.

I'm not sure what to do or how to nip this behavior to get my precious boy back...

I'm a little bit emotional about it because I have been going through some health issues and the chickens have been one of the few joys in my life right now.

Hopefully it's not too late and he is doomed to be a mean rooster from now on...help!
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I’ve never had a rooster who turns feisty revert back to genlemanly behavior. We’ve had several sweet roosters and several mean ones. We don’t tolerate bad behavior because we don’t want our grandkids’ faces or eyes scratched. The jumpers end up in potpie.

Right on. I can ramble on about this topic for a bit.
I've got a big boy chantecler x bcm named Meatball that bites me often. He's getting better at it and can get a wee chunk of flesh off if hes determined enough and I let him. He can be as rough and tumble with me as he wants. The rougher the better actually. He's gotten smart enough not to bother when I have gloves on. He will just challenge me with his tough guy dance and start slamming big sticks and rocks on the ground calling me a punk until I take them off and adopt a fighting stance. Then he comes in to do battle. Cute f#kr. He's just starting to figure out how to coordinate some kicks in there. No sharp spurs yet but in time he will grow and realise he's packin heat.
That's when the gloves go back on for our sparring session. I've been training this one from young. This cross always produces very brave boys but low stamina.
So we are working on cardio. They tend to tussle with the other lads too much as teens so I'm being proactive and taught him to save it for me. It worked well. He doesn't cause any issues in the coop and he's a gentle kitty if anyone wants to snuggle him up. He loves attention and kisses from anyone less manly than I quite obviously am.
He looks forward to our scraps and is gradually learning to avoid counter strikes and do the Tyson peekaboo. I'm always down for a donnybrook with this meatball.
When he's ready he will be the guardian of my free range meat flocks. He's a part time duck guard now because muscovy don't take no shZt from nobody.
I love this one. One of my favorites.
The moral of my little story is I'm tougher than a rooster. So are you. Give the little dude a chance to get on top of his testes and stop looking at y'all sideways. I've found that they really respect you when they realise they've been a bit of a dzck and you still left him standing and even fed him.
If you just want to try to break him of it now here's a trick I use:
When he pecks you give him a one two combo then toss him a treat. When goes to eat it give him what for and push him away firmly a couple times while using a verbal command. When he stops advancing turn and walk away and don't look back. He will eat it and learn that you own his world. It works for me maybe it works for you. Or get some sparring gloves and have at it. :smack
That’s a wonderful story. You did good. Very well done.

What made him randomly start doing this?I have been nothing but gentle with them and they always associate me with food/treats, I just dont get it and I don't want to get scared of him
Hon, he is a rooster. It's nothing you did. They are protective of their flock, and, in my opinion, not very bright. They seem to forget you are the one feeding them, so not a threat. I have had nice roosters and aggressive ones. I have tried everything. The bad ones just have to go.

I didn't read every post, rather browsed through it all quickly so may have missed it.

Did anyone mention a good recipe for chicken soup? It really is the best therapy for ill behaved cockerels. To give that zest of spring go heavy on fresh rosemary. Mmm.

I used to have hatchery birds and propagate them. There's a lot to be said about how you handle yourself around animals. Then again once you've had standard bred birds an no troubles whatsoever with cockerels you come to the realization there is no need to "train" poorly behaved birds. Send them straight to the spa where their muscles are pampered with days of rest and then a simmering hot bath. Don't forget the rosemary.
"Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme," like the song says, plus salt, pepper and garlic poweder. Simmer with carrots, celery and onion till falling-off-the - bone tender. Remove bones. Chop meat. Add light cream. Add dqueezed lemon jiice, a stalk ot two of celery, some cooked noodles. Let 'er simmer. Serve hot with fresh buttermilk. Enjoy, i'm off to bed.

It's probably just those teenage hormones. Don't take it personally and don't look too far into it. It is a phase and will pass.

It's possible that a predator, such as a rat or something small, is getting into the coop and upsetting him. This happened to me. My rooster, Beauty, will be 5 years old in May. He was a rescued baby who had a bad leg (leg is fine now). He was a spoiled rotten baby and quite the favorite always. Got better treatment than the other roosters. Is a tame pet most of the time. But when he was about 2 years old, he would viciously and randomly attack me all of a sudden. It was a serious pain in the butt for a while, but I didn't let it affect his standing with us. I kept treating him as a good little rooster and eventually he snapped out of it. I later found out that a rat was getting in, and I think that he was upset because when I would come in he would think for a minute that maybe I was the rat, especially if it was still dark.
Either that or it was just his hormones. He went back to normal for a long time, then last summer into attack mode for a month or so. Anyway he's back to his wonderful affectionate pet self again. I'm sure your boy will return to normal soon.
Thanks for the ray of hope! How interesting about the rat! I don't have kids or other people to think about so I am definitely willing to hope for the best. I know chicken soup is good and all but I'd rather continue to buy mine at the store! ;)

I'm had several young roosters who try their luck at aggressive behavior - i.e. pecking hard, and flying at me with their feet in attack mode. I've found that a smart smack across the face/head is enough to make them regain their respect. Obviously you don't want to hurt the bird, so just enough to show him who's boss. The result is always that I'm able to pick them up and cuddle them and reassure them afterwards (immediately afterwards). They might try the peck one or two more times, but they become increasingly aware that there could be consequences.

Back
Top Bottom