Rooster struck at husband, now me. What can I do?

Pics
The other day my husband was feeding my two chickens and he said that the rooster flew at his hand when he tried to pet him. I didn't see it, but today when I was feeding the chickens, my rooster struck at my hand...twice.

I'm not sure what to do or how to nip this behavior to get my precious boy back...

I'm a little bit emotional about it because I have been going through some health issues and the chickens have been one of the few joys in my life right now.

Hopefully it's not too late and he is doomed to be a mean rooster from now on...help!

This is really easy. The rooster seems mean because you are humanizing it in your own mind. Animals are not here for us. They don’t want to serve you despite how domesticated you want them to be. Believe it or not they have there own agenda and didn’t grow up with your parents and siblings at you and your husbands schools. The rooster thinks it’s being a rooster. Get it? Regardless of your own concerns - it’s a rooster. It’s not bad. Stay away from it and let it be or dispatch it. The problem isn’t the rooster.

The other day my husband was feeding my two chickens and he said that the rooster flew at his hand when he tried to pet him. I didn't see it, but today when I was feeding the chickens, my rooster struck at my hand...twice.

I'm not sure what to do or how to nip this behavior to get my precious boy back...

I'm a little bit emotional about it because I have been going through some health issues and the chickens have been one of the few joys in my life right now.

Hopefully it's not too late and he is doomed to be a mean rooster from now on...help!
The rooster is trying his dominance with you and your husband, and if you don't stop it, it will only get worse. Walking around him or staying out of his way will only reinforce his behavior. He tries to hit you, hit him back. Show him you and your husband are the head chicken and the hens are yours, you only let the guy borrow them. If you can't hit him back, then catch him at night, put him in a cage and set him where everyone can see each other, care for your other birds and ignore him (give food & water of course) leave him in jail for a few days, let him out, if he does it again leave him in the cage longer. Some have have luck with holding him upside down, by his feet & walking around the pen so he & his ladies can see each other, that has never worked for me. Honestly some roosters have good natures, some don't, if he doesn't get over it find another, you don't want to pass his temperament to offspring, or end up getting a cut you will have to stitch shut.

I don't really understand all i know about rooster behavior. My year old Brahma Rodger has seemed to develop a dislike or mistrust for my wife lately. I get along with him fine; and i do sit and handle him quite a bit. And if i sit in one of the lawn chairs and cross my leg, Rodger will jump up and roost on the arm or my ankle.
He tends to follow me around quite a lot as well. He has never displayed any aggression toward me but my wife and brother in law claim he goes after them nearly every day.
I tend to think he goes after my brother in law because he only sees him a couple times a month. And since my wife works six days a week and do to the shorter daylight she no longer releases the flock in the morning or give them their morning snacks, Rodger may not be sure she belongs here.
I really like him and he is a pretty good flock leader/protector as he didn't hesitate to go toe to toe with a large fox that had terrorized the ladies. The fox was dead in my drive but when Rodger came running he did not stop to check for vitals before flogging the fox.
So i have my wife grab him and hold him down every time he goes after her, as recommended by others at BYC.
Another quirk involves Rodger and my 6mos older Silver laced Wyandotte hen. She has gone from main hen to total outcast. seemingly because she absolutely refuses to submit for Rodger. She is like a Ninja to his Sumo so he can never catch her. And if he does manage to accidentally corner her she will fight him like a Ninja as well.
So now i worry about her because she is always foraging alone.
I even have to hide when i put out scratch for her or the others will see her and run her off.
I love having chickens because there is never a dull moment.
My boy did this when he was hitting his Teenage hormones. It lasted a month or so. Whe he would even think about nabbing my hand I would just pick him up and carry him like a football. Or I would make him sit on the ground or my lap and just pet him. And well my sweet and loving boy has never been better. He still get “onry” streaks but what teenage boy doesn’t???? 🤪
Good way to handle it; keep the loving coming while keeping his wings and feet under control; it's his hormones like a human teen; good comparison. Also you're showing him you have control but you're not hurting or threatening him or his girls. Also treats to show him you are a positive part of his life. My boy is so good he will even come to back door to get help if one girl has gone to front yard and won't come back to flock for him. He doesn't peck but will charge and attack people he thinks don't belong in his yard. Doing his job. He is noble.

The rooster is trying his dominance with you and your husband, and if you don't stop it, it will only get worse. Walking around him or staying out of his way will only reinforce his behavior. He tries to hit you, hit him back. Show him you and your husband are the head chicken and the hens are yours, you only let the guy borrow them. If you can't hit him back, then catch him at night, put him in a cage and set him where everyone can see each other, care for your other birds and ignore him (give food & water of course) leave him in jail for a few days, let him out, if he does it again leave him in the cage longer. Some have have luck with holding him upside down, by his feet & walking around the pen so he & his ladies can see each other, that has never worked for me. Honestly some roosters have good natures, some don't, if he doesn't get over it find another, you don't want to pass his temperament to offspring, or end up getting a cut you will have to stitch shut.
None of this is good advice.
I had issues with my rooster but I've taken an entirely different tack and we live together harmoniously 99.9% of the time. For that 0.1%, I always enter the chickens area with boots and jeans so if he does act out, it doesn't hurt and I utterly ignore him.
Make no mistake, a rooster does not think you are another rooster. He thinks you are a threat to his flock. Period. How they perceive a potential threat and address it are where we get into these discussions.
Ignoring his attacks sends multiple messages: you aren't going to be deterred by his behavior, you are not going to react like another rooster and you are no threat to him. Sooner or later, he will give up and eventually realize he doesn't need to attack in the first place BECAUSE YOU ARE NO THREAT.
It doesn't really matter how many times you try to 'dominate' your rooster. All it does is make them fear/hate you but their instincts remain. They will then attack you from behind.
People need to come properly dressed for the occasion. Going into a pen with a rooster that is has shown human aggression wearing thin pants or shorts is nuts. If you intend to rehabilitate bad behavior, it is a very long process and a dynamic one. You have to learn their behavior.
If children or the infirm can be exposed to such a bird, then the bird should be removed from the flock.

Good way to handle it; keep the loving coming while keeping his wings and feet under control; it's his hormones like a human teen; good comparison. Also you're showing him you have control but you're not hurting or threatening him or his girls. Also treats to show him you are a positive part of his life. My boy is so good he will even come to back door to get help if one girl has gone to front yard and won't come back to flock for him. He doesn't peck but will charge and attack people he thinks don't belong in his yard. Doing his job. He is noble.
Chanti doesn’t leave his girls except when he see me coming. 🤣 he runs to me so he can get picked up and take a nap in my arms. But don’t ever let a dog get near his girls it’s game on.
CF9C078A-65E9-4353-80B1-420342290A51.jpeg

I have a columbian Wyandotte rooster who started to fly at me and stalk my grandson. It happened over night this last summer. The rooster will be 1 in April. We removed him from the hens and free ranging with them as I can’t have him attacking the grandchildren or me when going into the coop. He is with another rooster in the bachelor pad. Lately now he stalked me when I go in to feed them or change water. What’s up with that? I don’t trust this rooster and he is big. Those spurs aren’t in yet and I’m worried for when they do come in. The other rooster just avoids me and is a good boy. Any suggestions?

I like your answer PhillynDilly. I have 3 mean Rhode Island Red Hens that I had to separate out of the group because they just liked to attack the younger hens. So theyre in a pen to themselves but they peck me every time they get a chance, boy does that piss me off, so I get the water hose and spray them. That's gets them out of my way. Now, when they see the hose in my hand, that get out of my way. :)

I have a polish that started that.It was reflexive when he came at me I whacked him with the plastic feed bucket.It didn’t hurt him but made a loud noise.He hasn’t done it since.Prior it was a daily thing.I had started wearing tall boots so he wouldn’t hurt my ankles.

Sorry! I went to sleep was not planning on a surprise nap but I got one lol.
Anyway for my boys the really bad stuff were maybe two months.
They're all a little unique though,so you have to have wiggle room absolutely everywhere.
You never get the same "bloom into manhood" you won't get bored lol.
I don't dread this stage anymore, can almost tell the second it starts by now.
The first time im absolutely dumbfounded, or mortified seems to be pretty accurate.
The only two constants he's going to confuse you or gross you out, typical teenager.:)
I deal with all age boys, never thought about roosters going through those stages. Too funny!! I can’t have roosters (location) so as soon as I know their boys off to a friends farm. Thanks for the laugh.

Back
Top Bottom