Rooster struck at husband, now me. What can I do?

Pics
I have a rooster that's about 6 years old. I can walk inside the chicken coop without worry of being attacked. I have had aggressive roosters in the past and I do not keep them long since their behavior never improves. They way I see it, the hens are mine, and the rooster is there to entertain them.
He is also the only rooster I have ever had does not tolerate any fighting between the hens. He literally gets in the middle and separates them. I will definently miss him when he is gone.

When my grandma's banty rooster started attacking her she let him get away with it for a while but he just got worse. She ended up taking him to the woodshed, and chop ... off went his head. She was my age now, close to 70, and he had attacked her several times leaving spur holes in her arms. No offense to anyone, but you can't put up with being attacked.

I have a rooster that's about 6 years old. I can walk inside the chicken coop without worry of being attacked. I have had aggressive roosters in the past and I do not keep them long since their behavior never improves. They way I see it, the hens are mine, and the rooster is there to entertain them.
He is also the only rooster I have ever had does not tolerate any fighting between the hens. He literally gets in the middle and separates them. I will definently miss him when he is gone.
He sounds like the perfect little gent! Too bad he can't be cloned! Maybe some of his offspring will inherit his good manners.

I had one who would attack regularly. I was just alert when I was around him and always fought him off. Then he got a bad foot and I took care of him for weeks. He was lame but barely attacked after that. He eventually died and I miss him.

I don’t kill an aggressive bird, just give him away.
One rooster I had kept bothering our goose so I posted on our community page and rehomed him. The new owners love him and he is good with their hens.
I currently have two remaining roosters that work fine together. The smaller ones behaves and the dominant male keeps the peace and never attacks us.
good luck.

It's probably just those teenage hormones. Don't take it personally and don't look too far into it. It is a phase and will pass.

It's possible that a predator, such as a rat or something small, is getting into the coop and upsetting him. This happened to me. My rooster, Beauty, will be 5 years old in May. He was a rescued baby who had a bad leg (leg is fine now). He was a spoiled rotten baby and quite the favorite always. Got better treatment than the other roosters. Is a tame pet most of the time. But when he was about 2 years old, he would viciously and randomly attack me all of a sudden. It was a serious pain in the butt for a while, but I didn't let it affect his standing with us. I kept treating him as a good little rooster and eventually he snapped out of it. I later found out that a rat was getting in, and I think that he was upset because when I would come in he would think for a minute that maybe I was the rat, especially if it was still dark.
Either that or it was just his hormones. He went back to normal for a long time, then last summer into attack mode for a month or so. Anyway he's back to his wonderful affectionate pet self again. I'm sure your boy will return to normal soon.

A) Some roosters outgrow it, some don't
B) Nasty roos can be of lovely, docile breeds
C) There's alot of experience out there in rehabilitating aggressive roosters. If you really want to keep him try everything first.
D) I've tried all of it. I am of the belief, after many roosters and scarred-up shins, if they've gone aggressive only an act of God will bring them back.
I want to walk through my chicken yard without being attacked from behind. Or that phoenix rising from the ashes crazy-ass full frontal assault.

I sold my last rooster on Craigslist. 1 day, $20. The next morning the ladies were so relaxed; it was only then that I realized he stressed them out too.
Good luck in your decision!!

Back
Top Bottom