Rooster struggling to breathe

Ourminizoo2021

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
I gave him some vetrx directly in his mouth. Is there anything else I can do? The vet is not open yet. I brought him inside since the cold makes it worse. It's started last week it was on and off so I thought it was going away and it seem to happen when he would crow too much.

I gave him some vetrx directly in his mouth. Is there anything else I can do? The vet is not open yet. I brought him inside since the cold makes it worse. It's started last week it was on and off so I thought it was going away and it seem to happen when he would crow too much.
Does he have bubbles in his eyes, discharge from his nares (nostrils), any facial swelling?
Did you examine his throat for any obstructions?
Can you take a video of him, upload it to YouTube, Vimeo or another online video platform and post a link here?

Does he have bubbles in his eyes, discharge from his nares (nostrils), any facial swelling?
Did you examine his throat for any obstructions?
Can you take a video of him, upload it to YouTube, Vimeo or another online video platform and post a link here?
No bubbles, eyes are clear, no discharge no facial swelling. His comb is darker not bright red like it usually is. Besides that he looks perfectly healthy, we see him eating walking around his girls. I tried to look in his throat I couldn't see anything but I struggled to really look in his throat but I'm thinking gapeworm. We let him go back outside sorry I didn't get a video didn't even think about it . I just didn't want to stress him out too much. I called our vet and they say they can't do poultry. It's hard to get medication where I live especially for chickens. I looked into safeguard but shipping would could take 1-2 weeks.

Any discoloration of his legs, like red/purple splotches?(Hemorrhaging of the legs)
No his legs havent changed they look great. Just giving an update I was able to get a hold of livestock vet he told me to give him some safeguard a pea size amount and see if it helps him so that's what I'm doing tomorrow morning as soon as the store is open. Hopefully that clears it right up and that it's not too late. None of my other birds have any symptoms either it's so strange.

How much does he weigh? If you get SafeGuard 10% give him 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight orally for 5 straight days. Pull his wattles down, give a 1/4 ml at a time, and release the wattles, and repeat until gone. Gapeworm is rare, but that dosage for 5 days will treat it. That will also take care of all other worms except for tapeworms which are also more rare. How old is this rooster ? Do you have other roosters? You cannot see gapeworms in the throat, unless you dissect the trachea after death. They are red and have a Y shape. Have you heard any coughing or sneezing?

How much does he weigh? If you get SafeGuard 10% give him 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight for 5 straight days. Gapeworm is rare, but that dosage for 5 days will treat it. That will also take care of all other worms except for tapeworms which are also more rare. How old is this rooster ? Do you have other roosters? You cannot see gapeworms in the throat, unless you dissect the trachea after death. They are red and have a Y shape. Have you heard any coughing or sneezing?
I'm not sure how much he weighs I'll have to check that. He is a big boy and he's only 2 years old. I haven't heard any coughing but I did hear what sounded like a sneeze once. The way he said it is it could be that or it could be something completely different that only he has. If that doesn't work he said I could go to a vet that's a 4 hour drive to find out what else it could be. Another thing he did do though once he would seem to be doing better he would crow and crow until his voice got rough and it started again ...

You can weigh him on a kitchen scale, or on your home scale while holding him, then subtract your own weight. A 10 pound rooster would get 2.5 ml of the 10% Safeguard. Make sure that you have 10% or the dosage will be different. That is what is it in the US usually.

Make sure that he has plenty of ventilation and no dust or mold. If you have added him or another bird to the flock recently there could be a respiratory disease brought in.

Last edited:
No his legs havent changed they look great. Just giving an update I was able to get a hold of livestock vet he told me to give him some safeguard a pea size amount and see if it helps him so that's what I'm doing tomorrow morning as soon as the store is open. Hopefully that clears it right up and that it's not too late. None of my other birds have any symptoms either it's so strange.
🙏

Back
Top Bottom