Rooster struggling to breathe

I was nervous for this morning but he got out started eating right away and he wasn't gasping he was wheezing and his comb is nice bright red. Not even 20 mins after being outside he's gasping again. I was thinking of putting him back inside to rest but idk if that would just make it worse he might stress knowing his girls are outside...also thinking about giving him some more vetrx today I think that must of helped a little

Usually with gapeworm, chickens cannot eat or drink for struggling to breathe. He makes me think of some type of heart issue, or maybe a fungal respiratory disease called aspergillosis. Vet Rx is herbal oils—pine, rosemary, and oregano, plus camphor. It is similar to Vicks with herbs, but nothing that would treat a disease. Many believe it helps though. Hopefully the wormer will help in case he has something like capillary (thread worms.) Unfortunately, most of the time, the only way to get a diagnosis is after death, when the state vet can perform a necropsy to look at the organs and culture secretions. This list of state vets has info on how to keep the body cold if you should lose him:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Usually with gapeworm, chickens cannot eat or drink for struggling to breathe. He makes me think of some type of heart issue, or maybe a fungal respiratory disease called aspergillosis. Vet Rx is herbal oils—pine, rosemary, and oregano, plus camphor. It is similar to Vicks with herbs, but nothing that would treat a disease. Many believe it helps though. Hopefully the wormer will help in case he has something like capillary (thread worms.) Unfortunately, most of the time, the only way to get a diagnosis is after death, when the state vet can perform a necropsy to look at the organs and culture secretions. This list of state vets has info on how to keep the body cold if you should lose him:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Yeah thats what I thought too ! And good to know about the vetrx i thought it would of been more helpful lol. While I was gone to get him the safeguard my husband was keeping an eye on him and said he's been shaking his head alot. Let's hope it works🙏 thanks for the info! I'll keep you guys updated

He didn't make it. He was alive when I first let them out but he died not long after going outside. Honestly heartbroken, I just hope whatever it was that the others don't go through that..I'm hoping since it's been about a couple weeks that it's not something that spreads.

Thanks everyone for all your help

Back
Top Bottom