Rooster survived fox attack but not well

I suggest trying red Gatoraid. It has everything in it he needs for treatment of shock, which could be part of his problem. If you can find a pencil thin syringe, it can fit nicely down his esophagus, and that would enable you to get more fluids into him.

Is he able to hold his head up now? I'm concerned he received a crushing injury to his neck. He can have a baby aspirin once in the morning, and another at night.

Try tempting him with chopped hard boiled egg or soft boiled egg. Tofu is another food chickens love that is good for an injured bird.

You've done very well to shrink his world, making it more secure. He may be working off shock more than an injury.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Chester is a good boy <3 I think it is still a bit of shock as he lost four hens in the attack as well. I am only concerned that as the shock recovers that he gets enough water and food to recover. I sit with him and give him pats as well.

Today he was drinking without the dropper if I held it in a little measuring cup and stuck his beak in it. The water I am giving him has a little sugar and salt in it. I also bought some egg and biscuit and made a thin porridge, which he drank a little bit of as well - not willingly either, as he was a touch grumpy about it which I hope is a good sign.

He stands up and turns about in the cage, and several times yesterday and today he would semi stand up with his head up, but he doesn't seem to be able to keep it up for long. He prefers to squat on the bottom of the cage with his head down.

I will get to the chemist tomorrow and get a dropper and some aspirin for him.

Thanks! I am mostly worried because he's not drinking, just lying there. I am only getting a couple ml into him each time as I have to syringe then encourage him to swallow. He is very droopy. I don't want to make it worse for him if he is sore.

Hey guys, just joined and hope to get a little direction here.

Our pet rooster was caught up in a fox attack last night. I actually thought he had been taken but on checking the coop this morning found him! He was standing with his head/comb on the floor, and occasionally moving around. I could not find any injuries other than missing some neck feather, and it looks like he received a crush injury to his neck by how he stands.

I have brought him inside and put him in a quiet place, and he has gone from looking stressed to lying down on his keel and resting. He is in a large wire crate on polar fleece, and I put a towel on top so it is a bit darker.

It's been about 20 hours since the attack, I guess. He is not drinking or moving about but it seems to be more soreness than anything else. He had one small poop this afternoon.

I have managed to syringe him some sugar water about an hour ago, but don't think it's enough. He is a big Brahma rooster. I was also recommended to look at giving him some child's ibuprofen but not sure this is a good idea if he isn't really drinking at the moment.

Any advice on how much more water to give him, and anything else, would be appreciated!
No, I don't think aspirin is a good idea. That poor thing. It does happen and I'm sorry to say this. Even if you bring him to a vet, injury to chickens happens because other animals are preditor. Just make him comfortable and talk to him, he may snap out of it. I once had a hawk come after my hen, she crouch down, I thought it was the end so scary to watch then she just popped up like nothing happened. If he improves you can take him to a vet. If you have Gatorade keep him hydrated. Maybe a heat lamp keep him warm for healing faster. I wish you all the best. He sounds like a strong rooster. Just keep letting him know you care, is all you can do!

He appears to be doing better. Try to get more fluids down him by syringing it directly into his crop. If you prop his beak open with one hand and stick the syringe into the right side of his throat (his right, not yours), you'll feel it slip into his esophagus. The signal that you've hit the right hole will be he won't cough or gag.

Depress the plunger very slowly until the syringe is empty. It's really easy after you get the hang of it.

I feel like I need to add this skill to my CV now! I went and bought a bunch of syringes but couldn't find a crop feeding tube, so I had a go anyhow and just carefully syringed in water half a ml at a time at what I think was the right spot. He didn't seem to mind, especially because he got pats after each one <3 I'll let him sleep tonight and then tomorrow try to give him a more decent drink and some food.

Red because chickens associate red with something interesting and likely good to eat. It's one reason I get so nervous when we get a lot of rain here and the red poisonous mushrooms pop out.

I think it may be time to start this patient on some vitamin E oil 400iu. to try to help repair possible neurological damage.
Red! I never made that connection, before. What a great suggestion ... THANKS!

Back
Top Bottom