1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster swallowed string with something attached. Unable to pull out.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunfloweralleychickens, Dec 6, 2011.

1. sunfloweralleychickens

sunfloweralleychickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    My Silkie Rooster has swallowed a piece of string with something attached to the end.
    I called my vet and they suggested to let it work its course and cut off the excess string out of its mouth.
    I have done that. The roo also had some blood on its comb and the string was bloody.

I have put the roo in a dog crate to separate it to avoid any pecking.
    Is there anything else I can do?

Poor thing.

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Wait. [​IMG]

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    You can try giving him some vegetable oil to help it pass. I've heard a similar technique used with dogs.

LOL, yeah "wait" will work too.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    I don't know what you should do but if it was my bird I would give it fruit so maybe it would poop out the string sooner??

5. sunfloweralleychickens

sunfloweralleychickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Thank you, I will try both [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I like the oil idea.

7. Beekissed

Quote:PC!!! Where the heck ya been???? I miss you! [​IMG]

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I had this happen to a Buff Orpington pullet once with a tarp string and I was unable to pull it out gently. So I cut it off and she survived fine. It worked its way through I suppose.

9. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    When I worked in a wildlife rehab center, I didn't twist the cannula (threaded plastic tip) onto the syringe to feed the baby starlings. The cannula slipped off and the chick.... swallowed it whole. I was shocked, and sat down, feeling horrible that i just killed the poor little bugger. A half hour later, I went back to check on him, and he was gaping his mouth wide open for another feeding, so I did, in vain (with the cannula properly secured this time). After he was satiated, he pooped out the cannula that he swallowed, WHOLE! The thing was HUGE! with respect to his tiny body!

Just wait. I'm always amazed at all the weird stuff my chickens eat..... and manage to pass, somewhere. [​IMG]

10. Beekissed

My grandma swallowed a needle when she was a little girl. When she was 78 years old she felt something itching her on her back, reached back to scratch it and felt this hard thing sticking up through the skin a little. It was the needle coming out her back nearly 70 years later... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by