rooster swollen / blister like bubble on comb

LightedPrism

Songster
Nov 13, 2020
Cottonwood CA
So, I don't know what's going on. I tried searching it in here and none of the images show the same thing.

He has no respiratory issues, 5 months old, eating and drinking fine, no one else in the flock has this including the other rooster. it hasn't gotten bigger from us noticing it a few days ago. Faverolles if breed matters, though meyers hatchery faverolles...

Any ideas? I'm tempted to stick it with a needle and see what comes out, but I don't want to make anything worse. And how do you hold a chicken still long enough to do that??

My images aren't working well, so I just have a video I put on youtube.

blister comb

It is usually best to not break blisters, be ause of a risk of infection. Can you post pictures? Is there any chance of frostbite? What have your recent low temps been? Okay I just saw rhe video, and the comb is very swollen in the one spot. Could there have been a sting or tick bite? I would watch it, but not drain it. You might want to give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of Benadryl orally once, just to see if the swelling goes down.

does it seem like an abcess?
Not really, i mean it doesnt seem opaque so much as clear, the liquid (runing on 3h sleep) i can see light through it with no issue.

It is usually best to not break blisters, be ause of a risk of infection. Can you post pictures? Is there any chance of frostbite? What have your recent low temps been? Okay I just saw rhe video, and the comb is very swollen in the one spot. Could there have been a sting or tick bite? I would watch it, but not drain it. You might want to give 1/4 to 1/2 tablet of Benadryl orally once, just to see if the swelling goes down.
I mean i supose it could be from an insect bite. they are outside during the day but inside at night until their coop is ks finished

0A02E29D-49EA-4777-9700-5D154D4C232A.jpeg

so i just got some update, according to my daughter it has been growing with his comb for a bit of time now. though I really don't agree with the blister-like feeling that goes with it. i am pretty sure this is not how their comb is supposed to grow out, but again still new to chickens in general.

he did have a few scabs on it today (we weren't here yesterday) so you guys think I should just keep an eye on it? How much / how do I give a chicken benadryl?

Back
Top Bottom