Rooster V Hawk

@Eggcessive

You'll get better replies from someone other than me soon, but I'd get some saline ready to rinse the wound and try to get a good look at it. If you can get photos of the injury it will help the folks here assess him along with you to make sure you get the best advice! If you have plain antibiotic ointment (no painkiller) that may be recommended after the rinsing, as well, to help with preventing infection.

Is he still active/following the hens pretty normally? If he becomes lethargic he might require treatment for shock but that doesn't sound to be the case right now.

You must be proud of your boy. I hope he heals quickly!

So my rooster did his job today After a hawk went after hen’s and baby’s He went after hawk and lost an eye in the battle after he calms down WHAT can I do to help him heal faster and without problems ? Any advice would be helpful
Thanks
Sure hope your Knight in Shining Armour is ok; he did a splendid job it sounds.

Thought I would post the picks of JANGO after battle with HAWK already doing better eating calling hen’s over for food I think that’s a good sign has some cuts on comb and lost feathers everywhere and one eye.

Attachments

• 808F2C11-46C1-4D5E-8A59-3138F86AA947.jpeg
    808F2C11-46C1-4D5E-8A59-3138F86AA947.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 28
  • A328567A-A8DF-4F68-B49F-CA90BDB40E44.jpeg
    A328567A-A8DF-4F68-B49F-CA90BDB40E44.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 16
@Eggcessive

You'll get better replies from someone other than me soon, but I'd get some saline ready to rinse the wound and try to get a good look at it. If you can get photos of the injury it will help the folks here assess him along with you to make sure you get the best advice! If you have plain antibiotic ointment (no painkiller) that may be recommended after the rinsing, as well, to help with preventing infection.

Is he still active/following the hens pretty normally? If he becomes lethargic he might require treatment for shock but that doesn't sound to be the case right now.

You must be proud of your boy. I hope he heals quickly!
After we got hawk run off he walked around yard I think checking ? Then went into coop and went under some steps inside I gave him about an hour to let everyone calm down cuz it was a hen frenzy of noise . When I went to check on him he was walking around talking pointing out goodies to girls but keeps hurt side away he did let me look him over seems to be only messed up on face and head .I haven’t had him very long got him after my old rooster died so I’m really proud of him for jumping in and saving them all hope he lives a long life even if only 1 eye . Thank you for comments

There is a teramyicin ointment you can purchase @ feed store....it's expensive..don't use the Carmex..just using it as an example.. size wise.

Attachments

• 16958657132205681398220710811062.jpg
    16958657132205681398220710811062.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 14
So my rooster did his job today After a hawk went after hen’s and baby’s He went after hawk and lost an eye in the battle after he calms down WHAT can I do to help him heal faster and without problems ? Any advice would be helpful
Thanks
You'll have to gather him up and examine him more closely.
Get photos of his eye and injuries.

Sometimes an eye may look like it's lost, especially if it's crusty with blood, is swollen, etc.

Clean/flush the eye with saline and apply an ointment like Terramcyin in the eye. If you can't find Terramycin, use Original Neosporin.

Look him over for any other wounds that may be hidden under feathers. Treat them by cleaning them out and applying triple antibiotic ointment.

Back
Top Bottom