Rooster very sick, close to dying

sounds like he has some necrotic tissue. In your shoes, I would remove the dead (black) tissue until you hit a blood source...in other words, trim VERY carefully until it bleeds a little. Combs can bleed alot, so be careful, and have some blue kote or other antiseptic ready. I don't know that the lesions on his comb and wattles are related to his other issues though...and they, in my oppinion, are the more urgent ones at the moment.

Anemia is basically a lack of red blood cells. There are some diseases that can cause it, but I was always told "when you hear hoof beats, don't think zebras", go with the most likely cause first. Most likely cause of anemia in animals? Heavy parasite load. Other symptoms expressed with paleness and anemia? lethargy, stumbling, lack of movement, lack of energy, inability to eat/drink...and the list goes on.

As for the drooling you are discribing, he may also be very dehydrated, in which case, the electrolites will be a tremendous help (and in many cases, render antibiotics fairly ineffective). If you can get pedialite, the powdered kind is great...it comes in single serve pouches, you just pour it into a regular bottle of water, and give it to him by the dropper full at the tip of his beak. Of course, you can dilute it a bit for him...

His eye color looks normal to me, though his eyes are dialated a bit.

He has a long road ahead of him, and as much as I like to give EVERYTHING a chance (die-hard wildlife rehabber. We see the worst of the worst, and give them their freedom again every day), culling may be a good option for him if you cannot take on the intensive care he will need.

Last edited:
Could be many things, but one is certain. It is viral. IMPO I would put him down asap. Mereks maybe?

If after 4 days of treatment of antibiotics without improvement, you need to start thinking virus and infection of other stock. Of course when you notice anything at all you should confine / quarantine that bird until you know for certain what is going on.

I've never heard of anyone taking a chicken to the vet :S

My only thing is all the others are fine except him even though they are pretty much together. Ugh. He is part of a batch I got from this lady and it seems that every single one from her has something wrong with it.
I'm curious as to why the antibiotics are not working though, he has gotten worse if anything. I guess the best thing to do is cull then considering he has been on Tetracycline for a good 2 weeks now. Too bad
sad.png
Thanks for your help.

at this point, I do not see much pointing to viral...if new symptoms develop, and they support viral, my stance may change...but I DO agree that he should be completely separate from the rest of the flock in case it is infectious.

Just because it does not respond to antibiotics does not indicate viral. If it isn't infectious at all, antibiotics would not help, and I am betting that bird is pretty dehydrated...which would also cause the antibiotics to be less effective if it is bacterial...assuming it is an infection of any sort.
hmm.png

Last edited:
He has been with them and has not infected them yet, so I'm assuming there is something going on internally that obviously antibiotics cannot cure. He looks and probably feels awful so It's probably best that he is culled to put him out of his misery. I hate this part
sad.png

well, you have been given treatment options, and tools to make your decission...Im sorry it's yours to make. In the end, it's what you feel is best for HIM.
hugs.gif

Try something stronger like Baytril if you can get it for 14 days. Force feed banana, and if you have stuff like "Naked Juice Green Machine" at your grocer, that is a good liquid with more calories in it besides water, give by the dropper full. I'd separate ASAP, give some heat. He looks really sick, I can't believe he made it 3 weeks already!

I'm one of those wackos that will actually take a special chicken to the vet, and the above is what we did to bring back a very ill pullet, without extensive (expensive) diagnostics.

I believe he has the "wet" form of fowl pox. His body cannot process any antibiotics at this point. He is dying. I would end it. Good luck making the right decision for you and your Roo.

Quote:
Me to. I just had my rooster and two of my hens to the vet a week ago for a respiratory bug going thru my coop. Round of Baytril and all are well again. It pays to be familiar with a vet who will see chickens just in case the need arises.

Concerning op's roo, I'm in agreement with nurse_turtle.

Back
Top Bottom