Rooster with an injured eye

He must see Shadows at most. One of my hens got an eye injury a couple years ago, & she's like your boy, half blind. They adapt really well with one eye.

I don't know how much he sees out of that eye, hard for me to say, just that he does see something.

When it was injured there didn't appear to be any damage to the eyeball itself, just a hole in his lower eyelid but his eye was swollen shut for quite some time.

He seems to do ok with day to day chicken life so all is good.

I don't know how much he sees out of that eye, hard for me to say, just that he does see something.

When it was injured there didn't appear to be any damage to the eyeball itself, just a hole in his lower eyelid but his eye was swollen shut for quite some time.

He seems to do ok with day to day chicken life so all is good.
My boy was in a similar way, except he had lots of drainage, some blood, tons of swelling. He did have a minor infection because I didn't get the chance to clean it out, or treat him the day I noticed his issue. I was busy with other stuff, but once I got the chance I started caring for his injury.

I cleansed it with some mild salt water, & applied Triple Antibiotic Ointment to his eye, until my Terramycin eye ointment arrived, then I started using that which helped significantly. I believe I was caring for him for a whole month, before he healed up fully.

Glad your boy is doing better, my boy is also, but is terrified to rejoin the flock completely since he lost the fight with the other boy.

My boy was in a similar way, except he had lots of drainage, some blood, tons of swelling. He did have a minor infection because I didn't get the chance to clean it out, or treat him the day I noticed his issue. I was busy with other stuff, but once I got the chance I started caring for his injury.

Luckily for George I was keeping an eye out, he'd been fighting with his brother a little earlier but I expected them to settle down as they'd done in the past but George was serious in his quest for dominance this time. He looked ok later after the fight was over but started acting odd (was in shock, I believe) and his eye started swelling shut so I got him out and give him a baby aspirin, once he perked back up I then started this thread to see what I needed to do for him.

I cleansed it with some mild salt water, & applied Triple Antibiotic Ointment to his eye, until my Terramycin eye ointment arrived, then I started using that which helped significantly. I believe I was caring for him for a whole month, before he healed up fully.

I had some pure saline for scleral contact lenses so did much the same thing, used Neosporin and ordered Terramycin. Took about a month and a half or so before he was back to mostly normal.

Glad your boy is doing better, my boy is also, but is terrified to rejoin the flock completely since he lost the fight with the other boy.

George is back out with his brothers and everyone seems to be doing ok with each other. As the original instigator he's shown no sign of being interested in a rematch and none of the others appear to be interested bothering him. I suspect he's bottom rooster and if he's not seeing well out of that eye, will probably be content to stay there.

I do keep an eye on them, though.

Luckily for George I was keeping an eye out, he'd been fighting with his brother a little earlier but I expected them to settle down as they'd done in the past but George was serious in his quest for dominance this time. He looked ok later after the fight was over but started acting odd (was in shock, I believe) and his eye started swelling shut so I got him out and give him a baby aspirin, once he perked back up I then started this thread to see what I needed to do for him.

I had some pure saline for scleral contact lenses so did much the same thing, used Neosporin and ordered Terramycin. Took about a month and a half or so before he was back to mostly normal.

George is back out with his brothers and everyone seems to be doing ok with each other. As the original instigator he's shown no sign of being interested in a rematch and none of the others appear to be interested bothering him. I suspect he's bottom rooster and if he's not seeing well out of that eye, will probably be content to stay there.

I do keep an eye on them, though.
Yeah, these boys were fighting constantly too, but it got serious once we left for the day, but didn't know about until we came back out.

An EE/Game mix was the instigator in this situation. He still teases the loser, occasionally, but a fight doesn't break out. I still keep an eye out, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom