Rooster with black stripe on comb?!?

Kristen D

Songster
Jun 24, 2017
IMG_4357.JPG
Hello, it's been very cold here lately. My head rooster has a black/purple line in the middle of his comb (following the arch). I am worried about this. Does anybody know what this can be? I will get a picture as soon as I can, but any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry that I have no answers for you, however, I don't know if it's the angle of the pic or not, but he seems to have some dark areas on his wattles as well. Good luck finding an answer.

I really don't know. I had a roo who used to get dark spots on the tips of his comb when it was really hot here. It was transient, so I was never really concerned. Sorry, perhaps someone more knowedgable will be able to give you answers. @casportpony ? Thanks

That is mild frostbite, I am pretty sure. I wouldn’t handle the comb or do anything. Frostbite can take a few days to know how bad it might be. I have had some mild cases look normal later, and since his comb is red above the line, he may be okay. Comb tips with bad frostbite usually become rounded off after several weeks and heal on their own. Many of us in freezing winter climates see this in January and Feb.

Back
Top Bottom