Rooster with bloody comb.

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
I went out to check the chickens today and I saw blood all over the waterer. I was like oh my who is that from. I started looking around and saw several hens with blood on them but no wounds, so I kept looking. It is my rooster. Earlier today, my dogs started barking, I should have went right out to see what was going on but I shrugged it off to the thunderstorm and my dogs hate thunderstorms. I think Caesar was protecting himself and the girls from something. Now, I will go back out and help him a little bit with my shotgun, just in case. What should I do for his bloody comb? Just keep clean and put some ointment on it? This is my first injury, sorry for my ignorance.

If its still bleeding, you might want to clean it up, and apply flour, or corn starch. This will help to stop the bleeding. Most times tho, the bleeding will stop on its own. I hope you catch whatever got to him....most likely, it will be back. BE SAFE!

Combs can bleed easily. I would check it out, clean it up, and a bit of neosporin would be good. If he was fighting with something though, check the rest of his body for wounds as feathers are good at hiding scratches that can get infested or infected. Good luck!

yes..check him over for any other injuries..
dab some betadine on, or clean with saline.
treat with neosporin or polysporin.

if you have some vitamins and electrolytes..it helps with stress and shock..as will some extra protein..

hope you're able to find the predator..
it will return.

Back
Top Bottom