ROOSTER WITH INJURIED FOOT POSSIBLY LEG NEED ADVICE!!

melissa792

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 19, 2015
hi we have a rooster that has had a leg issue for about three weeks that doesn't seem to be getting any better nor worse.
he still eats walks fly etc
he is curling his toes under him and almost walking on the top of his foot
in looking at him I just cant tell if it is the leg or foot that is injured but no signs of injury
I believe that it is broke either in the thigh or leg area somewhere
what can we do?
will it heal on its own and does anyone know how long that can take?
is there any supplements I may be able to give him
another question is I have put him on his own but seeing the weather is changing we have brought him back to the coop at night
I thought that they would be OK after a few episodes with another rooster attacking him but to my surprise they started again today
now the other rooster finally did go off on his own
does any one know if they will continue
or will they continue to try to kill off the rooster that is injured

It sounds like he could possibly have a nerve problem in that leg. Curled under toes can be a sign of riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, nerve damage, or possibly Mareks disease. Do you have a local vet who could xray his leg? I would give him poultry vitamins or B Complex vitamins in his water for a couple of weeks. You may want to pen him up to force him to rest the leg and to protect him. Roosters who break or sprain their legs are harder to treat successfully, especially if the injury is up high in the femur or thigh bone. It is really not a good idea to keep more than one rooster in a flock, especially if they are challenging one another. I have 2 in a flock of 32 that get along peacefully, but that is because the younger one was raised in the flock. I have had to re-home quite a few in the same flock once they matured because of fighting and upsetting the flock.

Back
Top Bottom