Rooster with lots of saliva?

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I don't know if this is normal, but my 7yo rooster seems to have a lot of saliva, he has had a lot of saliva for a while, I don't know when I noticed all the saliva. He is acting normal and otherwise seems fine. When he eats it seems he has trouble swallowing the food, and sometimes drools. The food he eats is in pellet form. Today when I put him down after holding him he vigorously shook his head a couple of times, that was the first time I have seen him do that. Does anyone know whats wrong with him? I will try to get some pics soon.

It's seems he only gets a lot of saliva when he eats. IMG_20220214_164538.jpg

I should also mention he sneezes some, but I think he usually does it when he eats. Could this be an allergic reaction to the food?

Can you see anything else inside his throat, such as white or yellow material or plaques? Does he swallow frequently or shake his head often? Are there any bubbles in either eye? How does his crop feel, and does it empty by the next morning? He may have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) or others. Canker or yeast infection in his beak could also be possible. Has any other chicken been sick before?

Can you see anything else inside his throat, such as white or yellow material or plaques? Does he swallow frequently or shake his head often? Are there any bubbles in either eye? How does his crop feel, and does it empty by the next morning? He may have a respiratory disease such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG,) or others. Canker or yeast infection in his beak could also be possible. Has any other chicken been sick before?
I will have to look in his throat tomorrow morning, I haven't noticed him swallowing or shaking his head. There are no bubbles in his eye. How should his crop feel when it is full? I will check his crop in the morning to see if its emptying. No other chicken has gotten sick.

I just checked his crop and It was almost empty, but it wasn't completely empty. Should his crop be completely empty? I am sure he didn't eat or drink yet this morning.

Was it puffy or hard this morning? I would check it again in the morning. Crops should feel mostly empty by the next morning before eating or drinking. They will gradually fill up during the day like a pouch. Sour crop feels puffy soft in the morning, and there can be a foul odor from the beak. An impacted crop feels firm or doughy in early morning. Is he still having mucus from his beak?

Back
Top Bottom