Rooster with no claws or spur??

Gremchild74

Chirping
May 3, 2023
After losing half of our flock, we decided to get a rooster to help protect our girls. We were given one by our kind neighbor. She said his claws and spurs would grow back. (All are missing) If so, how long does this take? There would be no purpose in keeping him as a protector if his "weapons" are of no use.
Thanks BYC peeps!

After losing half of our flock, we decided to get a rooster to help protect our girls. We were given one by our kind neighbor. She said his claws and spurs would grow back. (All are missing) If so, how long does this take? There would be no purpose in keeping him as a protector if his "weapons" are of no use.
Thanks BYC peeps!
We would need to see a picture of his feet to determine wether the claws and spurs will grow back or have been pulled/treated otherwise to prevent regrowth.

Unfortunately, you're operating under a common assumption.
Roosters are only worth one act of sacrifice, which is how they protect their flocks. A rooster is often no match for a coyote or fox, they die in in the process.
The claws could be missing from frostbite but some roosters don't have spurs.
They don't use they're claws for fighting, usually flogging with they're wings and spurs if convenient.
They might sound an alarm, but they're not any more or less good at it than the hens at noticing predators.
A rooster won't solve your issues.
Remember to quarantine your new bird for a month. :]

Okay
We would need to see a picture of his feet to determine wether the claws and spurs will grow back or have been pulled/treated otherwise to prevent regrowth.

The previous owner had to get rid of him because she already had another rooster and they were competing. I am hoping they broke off because of that. He was missing feathers as well. This is my first rooster. I will post pictures when I head back down to get my new girls. (Newly bought hens have mud balls that need a soaking, joys of chicken ownership). Thank you.

Go
Unfortunately, you're operating under a common assumption.
Roosters are only worth one act of sacrifice, which is how they protect their flocks. A rooster is often no match for a coyote or fox, they die in in the process.
The claws could be missing from frostbite but some roosters don't have spurs.
They don't use they're claws for fighting, usually flogging with they're wings and spurs if convenient.
They might sound an alarm, but they're not any more or less good at it than the hens at noticing predators.
A rooster won't solve your issues.
Remember to quarantine your new bird for a month. :]
Good information. This is our first rooster.

I would recommend replacing your lost birds with tougher hens. I've watched an ugly, old gamefowl hen here attack a huge fox to protect her babies. She actually made the fox leave

Roosters help but they can't do everything on their own

Attachments

• 20230727_201540.jpg
    20230727_201540.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230727_201537.jpg
    20230727_201537.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230727_201532.jpg
    20230727_201532.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 10
Thanks BYC peeps!

Sorry it took so long for the pics.
I'm sorry to hear about your losses.

Can you get some photos of the rooster himself along with how he stands?

To me, it looks like he's suffered loss of nail and toe ends due to frostbite. If that's the case, his nails will not grow back.
Spurs may eventually grow longer, but as they do, then you will want to monitor the length and file them down occasionally if you find that your hens suffer accidental damage due to mating. It can happen - sometimes a roosters nail or spur may cut the back of hen.

While a rooster may watch over the hens and alert them to predators, they are not able to defend against fox/coyote or even hawks and you shouldn't expect one to stand and fight a predator.

I'm sorry to hear about your losses.

Can you get some photos of the rooster himself along with how he stands?

To me, it looks like he's suffered loss of nail and toe ends due to frostbite. If that's the case, his nails will not grow back.
Spurs may eventually grow longer, but as they do, then you will want to monitor the length and file them down occasionally if you find that your hens suffer accidental damage due to mating. It can happen - sometimes a roosters nail or spur may cut the back of hen.

While a rooster may watch over the hens and alert them to predators, they are not able to defend against fox/coyote or even hawks and you shouldn't expect one to stand and fight a predator.
Amazing information. Much appreciated. I will get a pic of his stance, possibly tomorrow. We don't let the birds free range when we are not around to be alerted.

I would recommend replacing your lost birds with tougher hens. I've watched an ugly, old gamefowl hen here attack a huge fox to protect her babies. She actually made the fox leave

Roosters help but they can't do everything on their own
What gamefowl do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom