Rooster with one eye swollen shut! Help :(

madisonboe

Songster
8 Years
May 11, 2014
Rio Linda, California
C2C37063-60CB-46C0-BA47-D42DF039ED56.jpeg
I noticed my rooster has one eye last is swollen almost completely shut, he is acting completely normal not sick or anything his eye is just very swollen I’m hoping his eye is still in there. I’m guessing he might of tried to mess with our new baby chick and the momma may have pecked him. Is there anything I can do? Neosporin? How long should I let it try to heal on its own?? Any advice would be great as I am very worried about him

Attachments

• 88A746DA-1C0E-4DB3-9F2F-44B8530501B0.jpeg
    88A746DA-1C0E-4DB3-9F2F-44B8530501B0.jpeg
    735 KB · Views: 51
I definitely agree with @Farmgirl47... Colloidal Silver is absolutely amazing for treating my chickens. I do not know if this is the same thing I had happen, could probably be a number of different things, but I'll tell you about what happened and how we fixed it.

A couple months ago, we noticed one of our ameraucana roos had a little bit of a puffy eye. Nothing like what's in your picture, just a little puffy. So we paid attention to it, and put some colloidal silver on it.

A couple days later, we noticed at nighttime that one of our EE roosters had stayed outside of the coop, which is unusual (they usually all go in at nighttime). When we picked him up, we noticed he had an extremely puffy eye (much like what's in your picture). At this point we figured that it probably wasn't an injury, and whatever it was was most likely contagious. So we looked inside the coop to see if anyone else had a puffy eye. Our Blue Copper Marans hen had a little of one too, so we took the EE, the BCM and the Ameraucana out of the coop and separated them so we could keep an eye on it and treat them.

We put silver on their eyes daily, which did help. We also gave them daily doses of oregano oil and garlic in their water. Both of these herbs are anti inflammatory, and they have antibiotic properties, so I highly recommend them.

While these things were helping and they weren't getting worse, they weren't all the way better, either. We noticed that more of our chickens were getting puffy eyes.

It turned out that about half of our flock had gotten the puffy eye over the course of a few weeks. Our one EE roo even had both eyes completely swollen shut at one point. At this point, I suspect, a lot of people would have culled their entire flock, but we weren't going to do that.

After reading about it some on here, we decided to try out VetRX. It is an herbal oil mixture used to cure and prevent respiratory illnesses. It's a mixture of the oils of rosemary, oregano, pine, and corn. It is safe to use internally and externally. So daily, we smeared it on their noses, on their eyes, and used it in a diffuser in the room with them. We did notice a difference with this, but it didn't completely go away.

We did notice their noses were also sort of stuffy, and they were breathing through their mouths, so we deemed it respiratory. We still don't know exactly what it was, but we are pretty sure it was either infectious coryza, or housefinch conjunctivitis. Though it might've been something completely different, it was definitely respiratory. Whatever it was though, it became clear that it wasn't life-threatening, it was just very, very, annoying.

At first, ours were acting fine too, aside from the puffy eye. After a few days, some of them were panting because they couldn't breathe through their noses right.

By the time half of our flock had it, we stopped bothering with separating them. We figured they would get it or they wouldn't, and at this point we were treating them all anyway with the herbs, silver, and vetRV, and eventually, NutriDrench.

After talking to the lady at our TSC, we decided to try NutriDrench. It is basically a really good vitamin supplement, with the only downfall being it has propelyne glycol in it which isn't good. We were trying to treat them only naturally with herbs, so as to keep them organic. However, we decided this would be better than antibiotic.

After a few days of giving this to them, it was completely cleared up. I'm not kidding. No antibiotics. No culling. No excessive chemicals. Just one vitamin supplement, with an ingredient that wasn't preferable, and some herbs. We didn't want to use it, but it was a lot less bad for them than some other things. It went away, and thankfully, never came back. All of our chickens are healthy now.

I have no idea if this is what your chicken has, but it looks very, very similar. Also because it's only in one eye. It could be an injury though. However, if I were you, I'd keep on eye on your other chickens and see if they get it. I wouldn't freak out about it, as half our flock had one or both eyes puffy for days (some of them even weeks) at a time until we got it figured out. I definitely recommend colloidal silver, anti inflammatory herbs, and NutriDrench. This should help to naturally boost their immune systems so they can fight it off without antibiotics.

Anyway, maybe you will find this helpful. I know this is a long post, but it might save you some trouble. Good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited:
I definitely agree with @Farmgirl47... Colloidal Silver is absolutely amazing for treating my chickens. I do not know if this is the same thing I had happen, could probably be a number of different things, but I'll tell you about what happened and how we fixed it.

A couple months ago, we noticed one of our ameraucana roos had a little bit of a puffy eye. Nothing like what's in your picture, just a little puffy. So we paid attention to it, and put some colloidal silver on it.

A couple days later, we noticed at nighttime that one of our EE roosters had stayed outside of the coop, which is unusual (they usually all go in at nighttime). When we picked him up, we noticed he had an extremely puffy eye (much like what's in your picture). At this point we figured that it probably wasn't an injury, and whatever it was was most likely contagious. So we looked inside the coop to see if anyone else had a puffy eye. Our Blue Copper Marans hen had a little of one too, so we took the EE, the BCM and the Ameraucana out of the coop and separated them so we could keep an eye on it and treat them.

We put silver on their eyes daily, which did help. We also gave them daily doses of oregano oil and garlic in their water. Both of these herbs are anti inflammatory, and they have antibiotic properties, so I highly recommend them.

While these things were helping and they weren't getting worse, they weren't all the way better, either. We noticed that more of our chickens were getting puffy eyes.

It turned out that about half of our flock had gotten the puffy eye over the course of a few weeks. Our one EE roo even had both eyes completely swollen shut at one point. At this point, I suspect, a lot of people would have culled their entire flock, but we weren't going to do that.

After reading about it some on here, we decided to try out VetRX. It is an herbal oil mixture used to cure and prevent respiratory illnesses. It's a mixture of the oils of rosemary, oregano, pine, and corn. It is safe to use internally and externally. So daily, we smeared it on their noses, on their eyes, and used it in a diffuser in the room with them. We did notice a difference with this, but it didn't completely go away.

We did notice their noses were also sort of stuffy, and they were breathing through their mouths, so we deemed it respiratory. We still don't know exactly what it was, but we are pretty sure it was either infectious coryza, or housefinch conjunctivitis. Though it might've been something completely different, it was definitely respiratory. Whatever it was though, it became clear that it wasn't life-threatening, it was just very, very, annoying.

At first, ours were acting fine too, aside from the puffy eye. After a few days, some of them were panting because they couldn't breathe through their noses right.

By the time half of our flock had it, we stopped bothering with separating them. We figured they would get it or they wouldn't, and at this point we were treating them all anyway with the herbs, silver, and vetRV, and eventually, NutriDrench.

After talking to the lady at our TSC, we decided to try NutriDrench. It is basically a really good vitamin supplement, with the only downfall being it has propelyne glycol in it which isn't good. We were trying to treat them only naturally with herbs, so as to keep them organic. However, we decided this would be better than antibiotic.

After a few days of giving this to them, it was completely cleared up. I'm not kidding. No antibiotics. No culling. No excessive chemicals. Just one vitamin supplement, with an ingredient that wasn't preferable, and some herbs. We didn't want to use it, but it was a lot less bad for them than some other things. It went away, and thankfully, never came back. All of our chickens are healthy now.

I have no idea if this is what your chicken has, but it looks very, very similar. Also because it's only in one eye. It could be an injury though. However, if I were you, I'd keep on eye on your other chickens and see if they get it. I wouldn't freak out about it, as half our flock had one or both eyes puffy for days (some of them even weeks) at a time until we got it figured out. I definitely recommend colloidal silver, anti inflammatory herbs, and NutriDrench. This should help to naturally boost their immune systems so they can fight it off without antibiotics.

Anyway, maybe you will find this helpful. I know this is a long post, but it might save you some trouble. Good luck and keep us updated!
Thank you so much for all the information! I actually have some vetRX so I will start with that. I’m really hoping it’s just an injury but I will keep an eye on the rest of them! Thank you again!

Thank you so much for all the information! I actually have some vetRX so I will start with that. I’m really hoping it’s just an injury but I will keep an eye on the rest of them! Thank you again!

You're welcome :) That's great... should definitely be a good place to start.. and if it doesn't completely fix it, your chicken will have healthy sinuses anyway! Lol. But definitely update us with if you get it to go away, and if any of your other chickens get it!

Back
Top Bottom