Rooster with serious frostbite. Please help!

Thanks so much for your help! Luckily I bought a bunch of wraps and bandages this morning in fear that I'd have to amputate. I cleaned it up by mixing a little wound wash with some water (I didn't want to put it on directly in case it was too strong). I use betamine with the horses so a little of that might work but I'm not sure how much to give him. After I cleaned most of the dirt and blood out I put gauze on and covered it with a bandage and secured it with some medical tape. It seems like it should hold up for now and I'll be washing it a lot for the next few weeks. There was hardly any blood once the leg came off. He doesn't seem to be in much pain just doesn't like me messing with it. He even closed his eyes for a bit while I bandaged. Looks like a happy rooster!

Here are some pictures of the leg, stump, etc....WARNING - VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES:

There's no dosage for banamine for poultry but if it's the paste, go with a small pea on a piece of bread, if it's the injectable, .1ml would be the horse weight equivalent of 10#. Trim all his leg feathers. It will help keep things cleaner. You probably have some SMZ tablets or tucoprim powder if you've had horses for any amount of time. Figure out a dosage and get him on that. I would force feed it to him or feed it in a mash instead of putting it in the drinking water. I'd want to know that he is getting the complete dose. For horses, it's 2x a day. I'd do that. What have you got to loose? If you are really into saving him, I would give the foot to your vet and see if they will culture it. Kindof geeky/creepy but it's a lesson.

Back
Top Bottom