Rooster with very swollen eye? Help!

TheHerbs3

Songster
Dec 5, 2021
FL, Earth
Hi. I'm not sure what's wrong with this rooster and I would greatly appreciate some assistance. FYI this isn't my rooster, he belongs to the rescue I work at.
The rooster is of unknown age, and is probably a barnyard mix. He lives with a mix of other farm animals (chickens, ducks, geese, goats, pigeons). He is eating, blinking, and feisty. There isn't any pus and it doesn't feel hot. Was noticed around Friday. Breathing sounds fine.

Any advice on cause or treatment would be fantastic.

Attachments

• image000000(1).jpg
    image000000(1).jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I think that is his conjunctiva swollen. That seems larger than usual with a respiratory disease, but was he pecked by the others? The black marks may be peck marks, but I can’t rule out fowl pox. Are you seeing mosquitoes out now? They carry fowl pox. Could he have been stung around his eye? I think it may be pecking or a sting, but MG can cause swollen eyelids and face. Since his comb looks battered as well, I think it leans more toward getting beat up. I would rinse his eye with saline, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment into his eye. Do that twice a day. If you see any scabs on others that may be fowl pox let us know.

I think that is his conjunctiva swollen. That seems larger than usual with a respiratory disease, but was he pecked by the others? The black marks may be peck marks, but I can’t rule out fowl pox. Are you seeing mosquitoes out now? They carry fowl pox. Could he have been stung around his eye? I think it may be pecking or a sting, but MG can cause swollen eyelids and face. Since his comb looks battered as well, I think it leans more toward getting beat up. I would rinse his eye with saline, and apply either Terramycin eye ointment from the feed store, or plain Neosporin triple antibiotic ointment into his eye. Do that twice a day. If you see any scabs on others that may be fowl pox let us know.
Thank you, I'm thinking abcess from a fight. He lives with other rooster at a Sanctuary so I wouldn't be surprised. I'll start with Terramycin and watch for other symptoms.

It may not yet be abscessed, just very swollen, but I would watch for pus. Hopefully, the swelling will go down some. Let us know what it looks like tomorrow. If it develops pus inside, then sneezing it out may be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom