Rooster with weird neck position.

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I have a 8yo rooster who's neck position is quite weird, I've been meaning to post about this for awhile now, and I've finally gotten to it.
I don't remember when I first noticed it, but it was awhile ago, probably more than a year ago. It seems to have slowly gotten worse, as you can see in these pictures.
IMG_0800.JPG
IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG
When he eats he seems to have some trouble getting it down, and will gasp for air, then his comb and wattles get a bit purple. Occasionally he'll vigorously shake his head. Even when not eating, he'll be slightly gasping for air. Not sure what's wrong and why his neck is like that, so wondering if you all have any ideas!
Also, this is the same rooster in this thread.

Hi @Tookie

Is his crop emptying overnight?

Check to make sure the inside of his beak if clear of lesions (yellow/white pasty material).

Some of his position could be age related, but I'd check him over really well just to rule out the above.
Okay, I'll check his crop and beak in the morning!

Okay, I'll check his crop and beak in the morning!
I don't have much to contribute, but I am amazed at how much he looks like a wise old man! I have never seen a chicken have such an interesting age appearance.

Absolutely incredible accomplishment raising this guy and keeping him healthy for 8 years. Right on!

Id love to know his name....

I don't have much to contribute, but I am amazed at how much he looks like a wise old man! I have never seen a chicken have such an interesting age appearance.

Absolutely incredible accomplishment raising this guy and keeping him healthy for 8 years. Right on!
Thank you! He's from my original flock!
Id love to know his name....
His name is Brutus. 😁

Hi @Tookie

Is his crop emptying overnight?

Check to make sure the inside of his beak if clear of lesions (yellow/white pasty material).

Some of his position could be age related, but I'd check him over really well just to rule out the above.
Crop is empty and I don't see any lesions.

I do think it's age related.

I'd watch to see if he's eating o.k. and drinking.
Re-check legs and feet for any mites or bumblefoot - just give him a going over.

He may benefit from some extra vitamins a few times a week and protein as well.

He's a nice big guy isn't he! With his age, he may be in decline, but try to rule out the most common things. Getting fecal float to see if worms are an issue is always a good idea too.

I have a 8yo rooster who's neck position is quite weird, I've been meaning to post about this for awhile now, and I've finally gotten to it.
Looks like an angry red tumor to me.. possibly a cyst? Have you felt it?

I mean that should still be normal colored skin.. right?

Sorry you both are facing this, whatever it is.. looks uncomfortable and sounds like it may be becoming that way also.

Hope he has all good days left! :fl

I'd watch to see if he's eating o.k. and drinking.
Okay! I do see him eat and drink, seems to be doing alright with that, other than what I said before about him eating and gasping for air.
Re-check legs and feet for any mites or bumblefoot - just give him a going over.
Will do!
He may benefit from some extra vitamins a few times a week and protein as well.
Would Nutri-Drench be good? As I have that.
I have been giving him sardines a few times a week, maybe I'll cook up some eggs for him too.
He's a nice big guy isn't he! With his age, he may be in decline, but try to rule out the most common things. Getting fecal float to see if worms are an issue is always a good idea too.
I do think he may be in decline most likely.
How do I get a fecal float done?

Back
Top Bottom