Rooster won't roost.

calboy147

Songster
5 Years
Jul 17, 2017
My 4 year old Brahma has decided he no longer wants to roost. He never wanted to be on the roost with the hens. I think he may have got on the roost with the girls maybe a week or so. But soon thereafter began roosting on the upturned edge of a 5/4 board in the doorway. A few weeks ago i moved him and his harem to a temporary coop while i rebuild the main coop. I even moved his 5/4 board into the new pad. But he spent one maybe two nights on his normal roosting board but sleeps in a back corner on the ground now. I see nothing wrong with his feet and he does not act sick. Is this in any way normal?

I can think of two reasons.

How much space is there around the roost? How high?
Bc Brahma’s are quite heavy and don’t like to jump high.

I have a small coop. The rooster I had didn’t like the roost because his tail was too big for the space. He rather sit lower on the entrance of a laying nest nearby where he had more space.

I can think of two reasons.

How much space is there around the roost? How high?
Bc Brahma’s are quite heavy and don’t like to jump high.

I have a small coop. The rooster I had didn’t like the roost because his tail was too big for the space. He rather sit lower on the entrance of a laying nest nearby where he had more space.
It is definitely smaller than the original coop; but so is his harem. The board he has roosted on for four years is 40 inches long and 16 inches off the ground. It used to be 28 inches off the ground. The other two roosts are 12 inches higher, 12 inches farther toward the rear of coop and each is 4 inches narrower. I did notice the first few nights he slept on his old board 3 or four of the hens were crowded up around him. Surely this bird is not so macho he doesn't want them that close. LOL
Wouldn't he just kick them off his perch?

It is definitely smaller than the original coop; but so is his harem. The board he has roosted on for four years is 40 inches long and 16 inches off the ground. It used to be 28 inches off the ground. The other two roosts are 12 inches higher, 12 inches farther toward the rear of coop and each is 4 inches narrower. I did notice the first few nights he slept on his old board 3 or four of the hens were crowded up around him. Surely this bird is not so macho he doesn't want them that close. LOL
Wouldn't he just kick them off his perch?
No, he wouldn't. He's a good rooster.

My 4 year old Brahma has decided he no longer wants to roost. He never wanted to be on the roost with the hens. I think he may have got on the roost with the girls maybe a week or so. But soon thereafter began roosting on the upturned edge of a 5/4 board in the doorway. A few weeks ago i moved him and his harem to a temporary coop while i rebuild the main coop. I even moved his 5/4 board into the new pad. But he spent one maybe two nights on his normal roosting board but sleeps in a back corner on the ground now. I see nothing wrong with his feet and he does not act sick. Is this in any way normal?

I did notice the first few nights he slept on his old board 3 or four of the hens were crowded up around him. Surely this bird is not so macho he doesn't want them that close.
Sounds like he just doesn't want to be crowded. Some birds want their own space.
I have a couple hens that are that way, they don't want anyone near them while roosting. If another hen (or rooster) gets too close, they don't peck the other bird away, they just find another roosting spot.

Do give him a checking over for lice/mites, see that his feet/nails and spurs are in good shape (nothing poking him or SLM), that his crop is emptying, etc.

Lower the roosts down to 6 inches above the ground and see what happens. I've lowered roosts down to 6 inches above the coop floor for older birds and well as my Brahma's and there hasnt been any issues.
Lowering roosts helps prevent bumblefoot and other leg/feet issues, especially for heavy breeds.

Back
Top Bottom