rooster wont walk

This happened a long time ago but it is back again anyone have any possible idea what it could be? could it be mereks disease it is the same thing all over again. Same symptoms and he is not using his legs he has been wormed in october. He did turn aggressive but that has not happened since in october.

Today I came in he was huddled in the corner I thought he must be getting ready to leave to heaven. But then I gave him some more water and he drank it all. 3 minutes after he is starting to walk again not totally but hoping and standing with pressure on it so happy for him.
1f618.png
same thing happened to my copper and it was dehydration / starvation I guess cause I did exactly what you did and he got better within a couple days BUT...tonight I noticed he has a lopsided chest...impaction??? Is it bad I don't even wanna search it : ( I read the impaction bit on a reply ^^^^ up there and now I'm scared I've been thru everything with my bird ugggh .if that's not enough I have a hen who was attacked by a MUTT he just gnawed her wings off and now she can't walk straight ...i.e. Hurt feet ,infection??
I'm at my wits end .i soaked her I. Warm Epsom ,and peroxideall wounds than neosporin on all she's too calm :( I'm gonna see about her in the am . Okay...impaction ,here I go ,again

No they get fresh feed everyday .But now I noticed that his comb is turing a dark purple and he is eating but not much drinking water. is it still safe too eat the eggs from the hens. The hens do not have this problem at all. Maybe it is because his is such a large fowl.
I will keep you guys updated
sad.png

Purple comb indicates her not getting enough oxygen, it could still Mareks, is he showing any respiratory symptoms.

As someone who has Marek's in their flock and just had to cull a legbar cock with pretty much identical symptoms, it sounds very much like Marek's disease to me. It was my lad's second attack too and more severe than the first from which he completely recovered a year ago and has been absolutely fine in the interim period. I have been giving him supportive care over the past couple of weeks but when he got to the stage that he was refusing to eat, I knew it was time to end his suffering. My experience of Marek's is that it does come on out of the blue.... fine one day and then floundering the next, I believe there are several different strains that exhibit in different ways, so one person's experience with it may be very different from others. I'm fortunate that mine only seems to affect a relatively small proportion of my young birds whereas others on this forum lose almost all of theirs. Nevertheless, it's still pretty heart breaking.

Good luck with your roo. All I can suggest is that you keep him as comfortable and stress free as possible (stress usually triggers the outbreaks) and consider sending him for a necropsy if he dies or you decide to end his suffering.... or consider doing one yourself if you feel able.

Regards

Barbara

Thank you I have been giving him electolytes and l have been syringe feeding him since he wont take the water and some feed and were just waiting it out. we also noticed that the girlsare making noises like there trying to comfort him he is with them he can see them but cant touch them. Is that possible for them to be like mourning. I will keep you guy updated if he can make it out of this mess. i

Purple comb indicates her not getting enough oxygen, it could still Mareks, is he showing any respiratory symptoms.
No he was sneezing but that stopped a long time ago I fixed it with some vet rx but he was sneezing a couple days ago so I gave him some more

Back
Top Bottom