Rooster won’t let hens out of coop

Dillon Novak

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2022
Hello,

First time poster. I checked and can’t find this answered exactly. So here’s the problem…

We have a Buff Orpington Rooster, Vicky (named by my 4yo - and she wants “the chicken people” to know that he has the biggest waddle and comb ).

And Vicky is NOT letting his 5 hens out of the coop. He lets the one other rooster out. These are also Buff Orpingtons. And I’m concerned the ladies aren’t getting enough food.

We introduced some younger pullets recently. And they have integrated nicely. Vicky is letting them out to eat. He was biting all the other Buff Hens before the pullets arrived, which I understand is normal rooster behavior. But chasing the hens only developed once we introduced the pullets. Which were put in a small coop next to the Buff Orpington coop, separate but visible, for about two weeks before we started letting them out. During that time Vicky started chasing and biting the hens into the coop and not letting them out.

I do not know for certain if this behavior is because of the pullets. To protect them? Give them preference? Vicky lets them out all day. But I don’t know if my hens are getting much of any food.

I’ve heard there can be aggression brought on dissatisfaction in food. They are pastured rotationally with 100sqft moved every week or two. They get fermented scratch and peck feed. With grit. And bugs, grass, berries, food scraps and whatever they forage. We also ordered Fertrell nutri-balancer which will arrive this week.

I thought maybe it was that he wanted the pullets to eat first and then he’d let the hens eat. But I’ve checked in later in the day a few times and have not been seeing them out. And they want out.

Vicky has a lot of great qualities. He’s always watching everything that goes on. Always looking at us very attentively. He’s EXTREMELY observant and quick to call out trouble and notify the chickens.

I put Vicky in “time out” in a separate coop today and I see the hens are out eating, finally. But this isn’t what I want long term. I really like this rooster except for this issue. And I’ve been trying to let them work through it for a month now. But I’m worried the hens aren’t eating enough. And they should be laying any time now.

Pic is of me and Vicky.

Attachments

• ADA9BEF8-9D83-4718-A223-3A990C9619DC.jpeg
    ADA9BEF8-9D83-4718-A223-3A990C9619DC.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 108
:welcome :welcome :welcome

You should keep the feed in the coop for starters.

Do the hens like the rooster? How long have you had everyone? Was there a recent predator attack or predator sighting? How many roosters and hens do you have that's together outside of the pullets? How long is his spurs?

Something to try:
The rooster is often the most active in the morning when everyone is first letted out. That's when he does the most mounting. The hens aren't always pleased with this. Try holding the rooster every morning when you let everyone out. After everyone has gotten their feed and water, put him down. Unless he's humiliated from being held, he should go after the hens and try mounting them as normal. Just now everyone's out, they can escape him better.

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters for a lot of things.

Could you show us photos of your setup?

Maybe there is a way to give them 2 doors so that Vicky can't guard both at the same time?

We live in Southeast Missouri. The Ozarks. Here’s photos of the coop. It is a modified Chickshaw 2.0. Our version has a back door for cleaning out fallen nesting box hay. So I’ve opened that up during the day. Vicky is still chasing hens back into coop regardless of which door. Good idea though. Was worth a try.

Attachments

• 93532696-CFD7-4364-99EA-4EBA1F4DC1F4.jpeg
    93532696-CFD7-4364-99EA-4EBA1F4DC1F4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • A6642FEC-CD6E-451C-8152-33E8BABB7744.jpeg
    A6642FEC-CD6E-451C-8152-33E8BABB7744.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • B0958A54-9A31-4FF5-B192-44E8D7C0649A.jpeg
    B0958A54-9A31-4FF5-B192-44E8D7C0649A.jpeg
    526.4 KB · Views: 20
:welcome :welcome :welcome

You should keep the feed in the coop for starters.

Do the hens like the rooster? How long have you had everyone? Was there a recent predator attack or predator sighting? How many roosters and hens do you have that's together outside of the pullets? How long is his spurs?

Something to try:
The rooster is often the most active in the morning when everyone is first letted out. That's when he does the most mounting. The hens aren't always pleased with this. Try holding the rooster every morning when you let everyone out. After everyone has gotten their feed and water, put him down. Unless he's humiliated from being held, he should go after the hens and try mounting them as normal. Just now everyone's out, they can escape him better.

I started putting feed and water in coop. thank you for pointing that out. Should have thought of that. The ladies enjoy the feed, but still try to come out and forage. And are quickly chased back to the coop. I don’t know if the hens really like the rooster anymore. It seemed like they did before. Now it’s more that they just respect him/fear his wishes.

Flock is 17 in total.

Buff Orpingtons, are 18 weeks. Of those there are two roosters, including Vicky. Then 5 hens.

Then there are the 10 other pullets, that are 9 weeks old.

Ni predator sightings I’m aware of. No noticeable spurs. I need to check how long. He has been mounting. This morning he let one out to mount. For a moment. I wasn’t able to stay to see if he let any others stay out after. Generally I don’t see the older hens out anymore.

I may try your idea of holding him back.

The “Time out” I had tried for the day didn’t really change anything for him. Still chasing them. And the hens still aren’t allowed out.

Thank you all for your thoughts so far.

We live in Southeast Missouri. The Ozarks. Here’s photos of the coop. It is a modified Chickshaw 2.0. Our version has a back door for cleaning out fallen nesting box hay. So I’ve opened that up during the day. Vicky is still chasing hens back into coop regardless of which door. Good idea though. Was worth a try.

Yeah, chickshaws don't have a lot of flexibility for different arrangements.

I would seriously consider getting rid of this male, who is harassing hens rather than performing his flockmaster duties correctly. :)

A lot of roosters are darling roosters as chicks, and people become very attached to them. However, the truth of the matter a lot of roosters are rotten roosters, and even more of them are not great roosters. Yours is not a good rooster, and he may be headed toward very aggressive.

I see you have a 4 year old child. I would strongly recommend removing both roosters. Especially if the child goes to the chicken coop or shares an area with them. Children tend to be attacked first in the face and head. Inexperienced people often times do not pick up on the cues that a bird is becoming aggressive until the attack. Inexperienced people tend to vastly underestimate the violence of the attack.

Roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

I would remove this boy from the flock. He is not a great rooster, and IMO they either are, or they are not. There is no trick that if you do this, they will do that and be wonderful.

I think that you tend to get better roosters from broody hens, and being raised up under older birds. Flock mate roosters often times become bigger than the rest of the flock, and with no bigger bird to teach some manners, they think they are the biggest in the world and become bullies, some to chickens, some to other roosters, and some to people.

If you want a great rooster - what you need is a rooster that was raised up in a multiple-generational flock, with an owner with a sharp knife. One that would not keep a rooster that wan not darn nice. A rooster that just has not got culled yet, because it was so nice. That is what you want. A rooster like this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bye-gets-the-vote.1532691/

But I would recommend you wait until your child is closer to 6 years of age. You will both have more experience around chickens. You have years to enjoy this hobby, no need to rush into it.

Mrs K

I started putting feed and water in coop. thank you for pointing that out. Should have thought of that. The ladies enjoy the feed, but still try to come out and forage. And are quickly chased back to the coop. I don’t know if the hens really like the rooster anymore. It seemed like they did before. Now it’s more that they just respect him/fear his wishes.

Flock is 17 in total.

Buff Orpingtons, are 18 weeks. Of those there are two roosters, including Vicky. Then 5 hens.

Then there are the 10 other pullets, that are 9 weeks old.

Ni predator sightings I’m aware of. No noticeable spurs. I need to check how long. He has been mounting. This morning he let one out to mount. For a moment. I wasn’t able to stay to see if he let any others stay out after. Generally I don’t see the older hens out anymore.

I may try your idea of holding him back.

The “Time out” I had tried for the day didn’t really change anything for him. Still chasing them. And the hens still aren’t allowed out.

Thank you all for your thoughts so far.
I totally agree with those suggesting you rehome Vicky. I know….. it’s hard, especially if you’ve had him since a chick. Often times the males are the sweetest and most fun, that is until their hormones kick in.
I have a 4 y/o granddaughter and she’s the reason I will not own a rooster. She enjoys the hens and all the chicken chores. It would take all the fun out having to worry about a rooster. “Most” roosters are not sweet. They are beautiful to look at, but nice is not in their DNA 😕

Back
Top Bottom