Rooster would rather starve than eat chicken food.

RandyTheRooster

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2016
So I have have a rooster who refuses to eat chicken feed, although he will eat table scraps. I keep a bowl of feed (changed every other day) in his coop, and feed him a treat (usually leftovers) once a day. I only feed him a small handful of treats estimated at 50-125 calories a day. In the last 2 months he has barely been touching his chicken feed, although he will beg for treats. I have noticed significant weight loss, a drooping comb, lethargy, and in the last few days, balance issues. Those are signs of malnutrition, which makes it seem like the rooster would rather starve than eat chicken feed.

I am very concerned for my roo's well being and want to know what I can do to help him.

The rooster is pet I got from my grandmother several years ago. He has lived alone for the better part of his life. It smells earthy and I don't see any signs of mold. The 5 pound bag of Purina Flock Raiser that I bought a month ago has 8MAY15RPWA stamped on it?!!! Did the feed store sell me an expired bag?

Feed is very old, 2015 old. Get new feed.:) Cook him some rice or something in the meantime.
The rooster is pet I got from my grandmother several years ago. He has lived alone for the better part of his life. It smells earthy and I don't see any signs of mold. The 5 pound bag of Purina Flock Raiser that I bought a month ago has 8MAY15RPWA stamped on it?!!! Did the feed store sell me an expired bag?

Back
Top Bottom