1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by missbrit2006, Mar 9, 2016.

1. missbrit2006

missbrit2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Why would my rooster be crowing at midnight?

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In theory, something may be disturbing him in the coop. If you have neighbours with roos, then they seem to like to take crowing in turns - mine used to start at 3am every freaking morning (wifey loved that [​IMG]) - well he did until he went in the crockpot.

CT

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is the best time to advertise to females looking to switch harems or emigrate from natal harem. It is also best time for harem masters to advertise presence to rivals, other harem masters but especially satellite males that might want to challenge them. I have 30 roosters crowing each night where the strongest and most frequent crowers have pullets coming into lay spending more time around their pens.

1 person likes this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Mine also crow when there's a full moon, or other source of light. Porch light, car headlights hit the coop, etc. Or loud noises. Just part of the joy of owning a rooster [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by