Rooster

If she wants a chicken to be a pet, I don’t think a rooster will be the best fit. They’re known for being incredible aggressive and attacking people. And chickens need chicken companions. All the human love in the world can’t fill that basic need of theirs, no matter how much we might want it to!

I do agree that the Rooster should have another companion as a friend. I don't however agree that a Rooster can not make a good pet. And more than one Rooster can get along. Actually if your friend were to get just 1 more chicken to keep your Rooster company I would recommend another Rooster as long as they are both chicks and raised together. If she were to get just one hen the Rooster would over breed her and she would get all tore up. I have 4 Roosters in my flock with 29 hens. They were all raised together and get along fine. My Rooster are not aggressive but I spend a lot of time with them. I had 1 Roo that got a little aggressive when he was a juvenile. But I turned on him and picked him up and carried him around for 5 minutes he tried one more time and I chased him. After that he has been wonderful. You just have to let the Roos know who the boss is. My other Roosters have never been aggressive. Here are my Roos 1 Black Jersey Giant, 1 Buckeye, 1 Midnight Majesty Marans, and 1 Lavender Orpington. The Black Jersey Giant and Midnight Majesty Marans lost part of their comb this last winter even with heat lamps in the coop.

Attachments

• Buckeye Roo.jpg
    Buckeye Roo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • L Roo.jpg
    L Roo.jpg
    914 KB · Views: 8
  • l Roo2.jpg
    l Roo2.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 7
  • MMM Roo.jpg
    MMM Roo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • BJG Roo.jpg
    BJG Roo.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
My Buckey is a sweet heart and I hold him all the time, he is the low man on the Totem Pole, My Lavender Orpington is the Top Dog but only because he is by far the largest he is also very mellow, My Jersey Giant and Midnight Majesty Marans are about equals and are the middle of the hierarchy. They have never given each other injuries, they may chase each other on occasion and give a little peck here and their just to reinforce their pecking order but so do hens. I actually have a Calico Princess hen that is the boss of them all. You could keep both your Roosters as long as you have enough hens, the rule of thumb is around 10 hens per Roo that way your hens don't get over bred.

If she wants a chicken to be a pet, I don’t think a rooster will be the best fit. They’re known for being incredible aggressive and attacking people. And chickens need chicken companions. All the human love in the world can’t fill that basic need of theirs, no matter how much we might want it to!
I agree that chickens should have chicken companions. However, roosters can be just as good pets as hens can. This comes from personal experience. I’ve had many friendly roosters and also some aggressive roosters. It depends on the individuals temperament. I even had a roo who would follow me around and fly to my arm. He enjoyed getting chest scratches and was trusted around toddlers. Not all roosters are aggressive untamable beasts.

OP, if you decide to give your rooster to your friend, either give her the other rooster too or advise her to get another roo as a companion for him.

There is a huge difference in a flock of enough birds for 4 roosters, verse keeping a rooster all by himself as a pet.

Roosters are a crap shoot, for me, the do best raised in a multi-generational flock, with more than the recommended space. What breed of roosters are these? Sometimes it will influence things.

It might work, and it might not.

Back
Top Bottom