Roosterpalooza!!

cwittenauer

Chirping
Oct 24, 2019
After my flock dwindled down to zero I started a whole new group. I got 11 chicks almost all of which were different but they were all supposed to be sexed.

I'm at four months now and I had a few start crowing that I had to get rid of. Then I noticed a few more crowing and they were pretty aggressive so I had to get rid of them. But now I have two more crowing!

I know that determining the sex of a chick is not an exact science but it's hard to believe I am this unlucky.

I've seen posts about how some hens crow for various reasons and I am wondering whether they've just heard so much crowing that they are all starting to do it.

Has anyone had this happen before?

It's honestly rather rare that a female would crow this young. It unfortunately seems like you ended up with mostly cockerels. Although, you could post pictured in case you want to double, triple sex. Even though the sexing isn't a 100% guarantee, this seems a little extreme

Last edited:
After my flock dwindled down to zero I started a whole new group. I got 11 chicks almost all of which were different but they were all supposed to be sexed.

I'm at four months now and I had a few start crowing that I had to get rid of. Then I noticed a few more crowing and they were pretty aggressive so I had to get rid of them. But now I have two more crowing!

I know that determining the sex of a chick is not an exact science but it's hard to believe I am this unlucky.

I've seen posts about how some hens crow for various reasons and I am wondering whether they've just heard so much crowing that they are all starting to do it.

Has anyone had this happen before?
I have had one hen crow in the past, at age 4 or 5 and after raising several broods of chicks. I have had around 500 birds in total and this is the only such incidence I have experienced. However, if your chickens are around the age of sexual maturity and are beginning to crow, I am willing to bet they are male. Post some photos here if you'd like another opinion.
Depending on where you got them, it's possible someone offloaded some males on you or simply didn't know how to sex them in the first place.

Thank you all. This is very helpful. I got them from a reputable hatchery but I guess I just had some bad luck. I am just glad that I am not giving away hens acting as roosters for a few days!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom