Roosters free roam... Hens in run? Help!!

chick resq

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2015
Berkshire MA
Okay I am an animal control officer and end up with all kinds of animals. I have 50 acres. My question is.... Do you think I can have multiple roosters if they are free to roam but my hens are in a run? And housed in same building but separated by fencing. So it will be look but no touching the girls. Do you think they will still fight each other for the girls? I understand they will have a pecking order still.

Yes, you could do that. You could even put the roos with the hens if you wanted to. Just make sure your hen to roo ratio isn't out of whack. One roo to every 10-12 hens is usually the best, but can be tweaked a little. (Some breeders keep one roo for every 5 or so hens.) Just keep in mind that if you have mature roosters and you keep them separate, they ALL must be separate and if you opt to keep them with the hens they all must be kept with the hens. Or you could pick one or two to be with them and leave them with the girls. Just remember that if you take an adult roo away from other adult roos for too long, he will probably be seen as an outsider when you try to put him back in with the others. These situations can turn ugly.

OK animal control officer. What breed are these roosters?

I'm not sure but have a feeling one of my blue langshan, New Hampshire red, gold lace, and maybe my partridge rock. They were all from different places. They are between 4-8 weeks old (guessing). Here are pics.

Plus I need to be prepared for more if I get the calls. You wouldn't believe the crazy animal situations I can get. Almost had a trailer of 40 chicks last year.

Back
Top Bottom