Roosters getting thin after being separated from hens?

metalman488

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 2, 2014
Texas
I have 3 roosters and 5 hens and a hen has started laying eggs, so I decided to separate the roosters and hens to make sure none of the eggs were fertilized. I just picked them up and took them out of their pens, so that they can roam around a bit outside. When I picked them up I noticed that they were a little skinnier than when I first pinned them up which was about a week ago. i have been feeding and watering them with bowls inside their pin. Their pins are inside the coop with the hens. I'm trying to figure out what is causing them to get skinny. Is this normal when they are first separated? Could their pins be a bit too small? Could it be that I'm just not feeding them enough? I heard that a rooster's pen should be around 3-5 square feet, is that right?
And I didn't plan on having so many roosters, but I bought them all as 2 day old chicks from a farmer and I accidentally got too many roosters.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with eating fertilized eggs. As long as you collect them every day you will never notice the difference.

Three cockerels and just 5 hens is a problem it is a good thing they are separated. However they should be penned away from the females. They are probably spending too much time trying to get back to the hens or fighting to bother to eat.

You may have to move their pen or get rid of some or all the males.

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with eating fertilized eggs. As long as you collect them every day you will never notice the difference.

Three cockerels and just 5 hens is a problem it is a good thing they are separated. However they should be penned away from the females. They are probably spending too much time trying to get back to the hens or fighting to bother to eat.

You may have to move their pen or get rid of some or all the males.
That pretty much says it.

Back
Top Bottom