Roosters & High temps any truth to the rumors??

al6517

Real Men can Cook
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Is there any truth to the rumor that slightly higher incubator temp's will result in a higher percentage of Roosters hatching??.

AL

Last edited:
It's funny, I just posted to another thread about my experience with this. I say, yes, it definately does effect the sex ratio. More roos are produced with higher temps.

I have absolutely no clue and know everyone on here laughs and says it is impossible. HOWEVER, I always have my temps run a little low of what they should. I always have the best luck getting a high ratio off hens to roos I have ever seen, too. So who knows.
idunno.gif

Quote:
Do you have any idea as to why this may happen??.

AL

I think it may be something akin to what happens with reptiles as someone mentioned. I don't know why exactly - but it really does work. Check out the thread on sex-linked silkies. You may be interested to read through that one...
smile.png

Quote:
With mine (I use a still air styro bator and hand turn) I hover right at 100, dropping as low as 99 and once in awhile get to 101. I am terrified to get mine higher because I tend to get cold and turn my heat up to the low 80's which makes the temp go up in the bator. So, I just keep it low. I have NEVER has more boys than girls hatch. Absolute worst was one 50/50 hatch but all the rest were significantly more females.....one boy to every 5 or so girls.

I would say call a large commercial hatchery.
If anyone would know they would.
That would enable them to eliminate the need for poultry sexing experts.

Sorry but I tend to believe that the sex of the chick is determined at conception.

Some also believe that pointed eggs will be roosters and eggs that are more rounded will be female... and to this I say once again... ask the commercial hatchery's

The gender of the chick is determined when the egg is laid. It will not change no matter how you incubate it. The only reason you can get more roosters from higher temps is that the pullets tend to die first. If you have unhatched eggs and get lots of roos most likely the unhatched ones were your pullets that died for some reason such as too high of temps. If not and you hatch more roos it is simply luck of the draw. The hens happened to lay more roos than pullets that time. The hen is the one that determines the gender of the egg when laid.

Back
Top Bottom