roosters in the nest box

I just learned new information . In most game fowl breeds males tend lay on eggs which is a family trait if you have ever noticed game breeds usually stick together like glue as a family hen roo and chicks i nitice by experience i own many game fowl along with buffs and barreds they usually stay away from their hens when my game fowl are always raiseing thier chicks as a family so i keeo the full family in the pen until 5 months where the male will fight his sons

Yes! Sometimes the roosters will lay on the hens eggs to keep them warm and give her a break from laying there
jumpy.gif

Yes dude that is a rooster, he is my Favorite rooster GrayBeard..........and BTW I'm a hen, not a dude. I think ya misread my post or I misposted my thoughts again...LOL

Years ago I had an old English bantam rooster, BB red. He had several hens. One day I went out to chicken house and found him sitting eggs. He was very protective and hatched 7 chicks and raised them all. He still tended his hens and did all the normal things. He never set again. Dont know why he did that time. Thought it was strange.

Last edited:
Years ago I had an old English bantam rooster, BB red. He had several hens. One day I went out to chicken house and found him sitting eggs. He was very protective and hatched 7 chicks and raised them all. He still tended his hens and did all the normal things. He never set again. Dont know why he did that time. Thought it was strange.

Did he hatch them with a hens help or just all by himself.

Back
Top Bottom