Rooster's nose is bad, real bad. What to do?

I went to take him to the vet. My dad was up there waiting. Before I got there Larry picked him up to put in the carrier and decided to pick at the rooster's nose. He was able to open one (left side) side up. When I got up there I was able to pull the thing out of the other side. I got most of it out in one large ball. The outside was very hard but the stuff underneath was hard but spongy, like tissue. He bled a little (see right side pic) but seemed relieved. I think he could finally breath. The side Larry picked at would not come all the way out. I called the vet and told them what we did and we were going to try to clean it up and put some antiseptic on it and see if it cleared up.

Spoiler

Here are the pics. They are graphic

Last edited:
Did you get a chance to smell it?
Sorry, gross, but needed for diagnosis.
There's a product you should be able to get at the feed store, or a good pet shop.
It's called VetRX.
Good for clearing out his nose, like Vicks Vaporub, but for pets.
If you can't find that, at least some kind of ointment like Neosporin, or something similar.
That will help for the bleeding.

If this were my bird, he would be in the kitchen sink with a warm washcloth on his face for a while.
But that's why I call myself stoopid!
Let us know how he does.

Yes it smelled bad and yes I have VetRX, that's what we put on it. I have used it before, it's pretty good.

I would try to get some antibiotics into him, and depending on how many other birds you have, you may as well dose the whole flock.
Tylan, Sulfamethoxazole, oxytetracycline, are all good for respiratory infections.
If you have heard of Oxine, you can use it in a nasal flush.
I buy it by the gallon, it is a very powerful disinfectant that is safe to even put into their drinking water.
I am NOT a vet, if anyone sees anything wrong with what I have posted, please correct me.
Thanks. He's a handsome boy, I hope he feels better soon!

The only thing I would point out again is, unless you get the material checked out by someone who knows what to test for, you don't know if it is bacterial or fungal. Many times we must guess, but if it is bacterial, antifungals won't work and vice versa.

Im afraid (know) we didn't get it all out and don't know what to do about it. At the very least his nose is blown out and will probably never be the same. He's was running around with a lot of energy today. I gave them some lettuce and he could not stop eating it so I guess that's a good sign. I bird with an infection might not do that.

We cleaned more out today, stuff we couldn't get the first time. It was actually more this time than the first time. Hopefully we got most of it out. Poor guy, he's been through so much.

Do you think I should get some Tylan 50 injectable and give him some shots? My feed store carries it.

A couple of thoughts - if it is bacterial, that might help.

Or, even if it is not, if you are concerned about a secondary opportunistic bacterial infection, that may be a good idea.

But without a certain i.d. on the problem, you are going with your instincts. And we need to do that sometimes. Your call.

Do you have access to any Oxine? It will kill most fungi, bacteria & viruses if you can put it in direct contact with the offending germs. You should dilute it some before applying it, though.
There is some info on Oxine & places that sell it on the Fungal Infections page on my site linked in my sig below.

If you are not noticing any other respiratory-type symptoms, I personally would be hesitant to give Tylan injections. They made my chickens sore & reluctant to eat. If you do give Tylan, I'd try to get Tylan 200. Tylan 50 is so diluted it's hard to give a sufficient dose to a chicken.
There is also info on other meds on the Chicken Medicine Chart on my site, if it is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom